Garage fire: how to proceed

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chuck58pan

Garage fire: how to proceed

Post by chuck58pan »

A fire started on my bench sometime after mid-nite. I had my 58flh bottom-end with piston's both level sitting on that bench along with tranny and all kinds of parts. very extensive damage. oddly enough amidst all the rubble and melted saddlebags that bottom end still looks sort of ok. has anyone any thoughts on how to proceed. after i get the ok to do some real clean-up i'll know more but i guess i am just exercising my jaw and index finger because i now realize that my stubbornness in not taking it to someone who knows motors is why it sat for so long on the bench.
headhog
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Garage fire: how to proceed

Post by headhog »

depending on how hot they got is what will determine alot.The upper critical temp.is approx 800 degrees f. aluminum goes liquid around 1300 deg. f
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

A complete disassembly and inspection is the way to go . Taking the lower end to a reputable shop will only be good for the motor. Sorry to hear about the fire , good luck in bringing her back to life , I saw my Buddy's bike go up in flames when he downed it in a drunken stupor and he tried to put the flames out by pissing on it and it was a chore to rebuild it .It was not a thing I want to see again.
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

thanks for your responses. I appreciate the knowledge that is made available here through your experience's . I spoke to highly recomended pan guy working for a harley dealer awilhle back. I JUST DON'T KNOW IF THAT WHERE TO GO NOW . MAYBE SOMEONE SPECIALIZING IN THE OLD STUFF WOULD BE more suited to this situation. although hopefully its just smoke and debris and not metal distortion. Bill's in bloomsburg pa. is only an hour or so up the road i probably would be safe to pack it all up and have them put humpty-dumpty together again.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Ask Headhog
Dan

Post by Dan »

Have a 49 pan that was hit by a car and blew up and burned motor and trans came thru the fire OK. Just needed to be taken apart and cleaned inside and out. Pan and trans still on the road 30 years later.
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

thanks for the wise recommendation. I have seen Don Sullivan's work ,that is pictures on this cite; very impressive. I also like that He offers a real alternative to the valve-seat replacement situation. my heads did nned a fin or two; i always assumed my valves were ok but it is clear to me now that thinking you can do anything but end up doing nothing could be corrected by finding someone good.I like the idea of being self reliant and reading these posts encourages me but maybe if i get back on the road a little carb/timing/basic wiring trouble-shooting,will have to suffice.Does shipping heavy motor parts present much difficulty. thanks for your great cite. I am going to attempt some pix.
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

chuck58pan, we all need to be aware of our limitations. Sometimes farming the work out to the experts is cheaper in the long run. On the other hand, I do think there is a lot that a person can do himself if he has 1) pretty good mechanical aptitude, 2) a pretty good understanding of the processes involved in the intended project, and 3) advice from others who have done it before.

Number 1 just comes from years of tinkering and wrenching on anything and everything. Number 2 is where your service manuals and other books come in. And number 3 is where this group is such a valuable resource. How did we function before the internet age ???

All that said, there are some things though that you just have to leave to the experts: like welding and machining.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

"How did we function before the internet age "
57Pan; we broke a lot of motors, thats how!!
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

thanks for your input. you know i always felt i had pretty good mechanical aptitude for a layman although ihad been in tv repair for some ten years. even within those fields there are always those that get it fixed but will always over=look a small step that would have made an excellent repair . experience and the desire to do excellent work are key . never having built a motor may or may not deter me, i think at my age i had better make it happen. I was thinking if the bottom end is good and needs to be split i might investigate the T. & o. wheels although that may open up another can of worms. always seemed plenty powerful with what i expect was stock;h cam Linkert,manual timer. thanks again.

Return to “Motor”