Motor mount is starting to give me a complex

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Motor mount is starting to give me a complex

Post by 64duo »

64 FLH. My second motor mount, freshly blasted of rattlecan paint, is also starting to give me a complex. It seems short reached on the front cylinder, just like the chrome one I had before. The washers & nut will catch, but seems not a great fit, the picture doesnt really show it well, but the stud goes right thru the end of the mount opening where as I would believe it would reach well past the stud for secure fastening. Is this how it's suppose to be? more>>>
motormount.jpg
motormount.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 466 times
What is the sequence of washer spacers designed to be on the front & back stud, washer, mount, washer, nut? On both front & back?
Thanks Jonathan 64duo
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Motor mount

Post by fourthgear »

64duo
Mine is the same way as your mount , as far as the washers or shims , I have mine on top of the mount , but that doesn't mean yours will be the same , as long as the frame to mount holes line up correctly. I have the horn mount on my rear cyl. instead of the large washer. The only place on that upper motor mount that I believe has shims is between the mount and frame.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

64duo,

Here is a link to a photo of how I solved this problem. I also didn't like the way the motor mount had the front head stud just barely at the end of the motor mount slot. You can see in the pic that I run a heavy washer under the motor mount and on top as well. The washer under the motor mount actually makes the problem slightly worse. In the photo you can see that I have built up the top washer with weld so that it makes contact with the bottom washer when the nut is tightened. This may not be necessary, but it made me feel like I was spreading the load out better.
motormount2.jpg
motormount2.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 466 times
As far as the shimming between the motor mount and the frame goes, I first tighten the motor mount to the motor. Then I determin how much shim material is needed to take up the space between the motor mount and the frame. I use thin fender washers for the shimming. Finally on the outside of the frame and outside of the motor mount I use thick heavy large diameter washers to spread out the load.

-Craig
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

64Duo,
My head mount looks almost the same as yours. I put a washer on the bottom, one on top and sandwiched the mount between them...so far no trouble. This looks like a common problem.
Craig, that's some nice paint...did you do it? Haggis
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Haggis,

I'm artistically challenged so I leave the paint to those with more skill in that area. I can only handle the mechanical tasks. This was a pretty inexepensive paint job. The base color comes from BMW. Then they overlayed a charcoal ghost flame. What you can't see in the photo is that they used a clear with purple tint. Never shows up on film but you can see it with your eye in the sunlight.

-Craig
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Craig,
You know what ....One of these days I will get down your way with the PB... always wanted to see the "Desert" the Butes and all that stuff that we watched as kids in Scotland...will stop by and check out that paint in person! Haggis Smile
Ps>...Just noticed the Craftsman lift in the second pic! I built the Purple Bastard on one ! Wonder how many of us use one?
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Thanks guys, I'll work with it, as is.
Jonathan
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I use a Craftsman lift myself, in some ways I think its better than the platform type for rebuilding.
vintagehd

Post by vintagehd »

rebuilt 2 on one this year...V.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

I have two of them. My Panhead occupied one for the better part of a year and I needed another so I could continue to service my DynaGlide. For $69 you can't hardly beat them. I work in a very small shop so a table lift, while it would be nice, would really cramp me for space. I've learned to use the floor lift and a short stool to ease the wear and tear on my back.

Haggis, give me a shout if you ever make it out this way. I'm always looking for an excuse to take a few days off work and go riding. ;D

-Craig
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

64, do you have a welder? you could always add on to the bracket a bit then grind as needed. MW
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

''panacea wrote:
64, do you have a welder?...MW''
Nope, heck I'm barely a mechanic, and real mechanics would laugh at my impression of that! Wishful thinking that I would ever get the necessary skills. I can follow good simple directions and I'm not afraid to ask questions and own a few basic tools. Otherwise, I'm just hopeful that it all comes together, if you know what I mean.
Jonathan - 64 FLH
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

64, Yeah I had some welding training for my job many years ago, so I can usually weld ( better than I can spell) steel OK but no way alluminum, but anyway any shop can weld up your bracket if your concerned about it. or just sandwich the bracket with a couple washers,LOL .Keep the shiny side up..MW

Return to “Motor”