when to re-torque

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

when to re-torque

Post by Panacea »

I've got about 80 miles on the new motor, when is the best time to re-torque? Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Panacea
It depends on what you mean by re-torque . If you mean just to check every thing you assembled , you can make any schedule you really what . 100, 500 1000 miles ect. , is how I do it and of course I do certian things even before I put a mile on the bike. If you want to read a lively discusion on head bolts ,(if you haven't already) go to the forum 1 and look up tightening head bolts . Its wise to check all faseners on a regular basis with the older machines.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

It was my understanding that after the initial start/heat up and cool down, before any miles were put on it, you were to re-torque the head bolts and base nuts, then not again...unless a problem occures...but I could be wrong.....but that is how I did it....Skip
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I have been keepin' an eye on the base nuts and checking every other ride with my torque wrench to see if they are still up to spec. no additional tightening has been needed so far but I haven't touched the head bolts, Supposed to rain tomorrow, I think I'll check them all. It's probably a good idea to loosen the top motor mount first. I seem to have a chain rattle also to check into, I'm running a little loose with the new drive gear bushing. So far the only oil coming out of this bike is out the breather hose, and very little there. Unusual even for a new re-build! Mike

Return to “Motor”