Hot rod pan

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bibs
Inactive member

Hot rod pan

Post by bibs »

Description: Whats the most I can do with this motor and still retain decent reliability.

Fellas I wanted to post a question ta yall about a performance panhead. I have STD heads on my pan, torque monster flywheels,an A grind velva touch lifters and a billet S&S oil pump She's got top oilers and external drains for slightly cooler running and I run 60 weight castrol oil.....before that I ran 20/50 and I was getting lifter noise.
She's got the factory 2 into 1 pipe going into a perforated baffle(great lower end with this baffle) going into a pipe about 30 " long with a straight cut end.
I'm thinking more compression and a "B" grind......she's kick start,I think I could handle about 9.5 to 9.8-1 as a kicker.
Did I mention that I run a C.V. for easy starting and smooth running?
I currently have 8.5-1 compression right now
Whats the most I can do with this motor and still retain decent reliability..................Take into consideration that this isnt a stock pan motor,every single part in it is aftermarket including the S&S cases.
Thanks for your time....Dave.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Hot rod pan

Post by Cotten »

Heavier oil itself does not result in cooler running.
Denser oil stores heat more than lighter weights.
As far as compression ratios: Who among us can predict the quality of pump fuels even into the near future? It's already minimal octane.

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

bibs
I'm running Kieth black ( KB ) pistons with a 9-5-1 ratio with a Crane 269A solid lifter cam w/ solids , stock 74 motor and have no problem kick starting her and she runs real good, better than I would have thought , ran A's & B's before mostly in Shovels and I believe this cam has better performance . I'm using 60 W Amsoil syn. oil, I also started motor break in with 20/50 syn. and just went to 60W after 1000miles , of course I live in Florida, my two.

Post by Guest »

fourthgear it is my understanding you should not use syn oil during break in period...any problems YET? tried 60w amsoil that nasty shit ran out of every seal and gasket I have even before the bike started...could not give it away fast enough. went back to 50w and all is good
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Cotten....60 weight oil solved the lifter noise....I was hopeful I'd hear some thing performance orientated rather than rhetorical...I know about the octane rating of pump gas,I,m looking for performance...the most one could expect from a stock bore and stroke aftermarket panhead type motor.....forth gear,thank you much for your feedback and sharing.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I am not the first to use Syn. oil for break in , there is some good threads here about this subject in the past . I have had no problems at all with this motor and except for the oil filter housing leaking a little , which I will address this week , this motor seems to like this oil weight , got oil pressure when running and it seems to be quieter running than with the 20-50 Syn. and it gets hot down here and doesn't really cool off at night ( not complaining ,just that I have seen people running 70 # during the hotter months here.)
It is more expensive to use because of frequent oil changes during break in ,but I'm sold on Syn. and its quality's , I just believe its a better lubricant.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Hey Bibs,

Dictionary.com cites rhetorical as "Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous".
If you read my reply as that, then understanding your motor shall come very, very slowly.

...Cotten
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Cotten....my bad for misuse of grammer.I know you know 10 times as much as I do about these motors,one of the reasons I posted this request for help/info is because of the likes of you and other folks with more pan experience than I have.
I'm simply asking WHAT can I do to attempt to achieve that magic number of 1 hp. per cubic inch,I remain convinced that it's doable or at least come damm close to it with the right combination of parts!!!!.....I can deal with how much it'll cost and octane numbers.....I can only ride short distances because of severe cervical issues and I'm 56 years old.....My riding days are rapidly closing in on me and I wanted to have a little fun with my pan bike before I'm no longer able to ride.....
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

you can dual plug your heads, as this will help with the higher comp. and the bad fuel, that are in some parts of the US.
you most likely know that if you build a killer engine it will move on down thru the line.... clutch then tranny then chain.....etc maybe even a frame .....
I 'm sure I will find out when I get my 88 done.....

mbskeam

Bibs... thanks for the jugs and pistons

and try here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47850/

here are a few more hotrod guys to ask
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Thanks Dude....I'm going to keep on researching and asking questions on the project I started and hope to hear from you all about what peaple have done to their pans to git 'emm to haul ass!!!

3-13/16" bore and 4-1/2" stroke is soundin better and better all the time,since the motor is S&S/STD anyway I could bore the cases,bore the heads....103cu.in.,'bout 92 hp. at the back wheel....run compression releases.....single fire ignition....small cam like a "6" grind
and...........................away we go!!!!! ;D
What the hell,ya only go around once!!!

Return to “Motor”