bubble bath & siezing pan

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

bubble bath & siezing pan

Post by tschukojr »

well for those of you who had read my posts of the 50 fl siezing and suspecting oiling problems, and tank cleaning , ect, ect, ect, well i had checked the intake for leaks by, spraying wd- 40, carb cleaner, and other stuff, several time's with no response, and earlier tonite, while exploring the knowledge forum section, i read a bunch of stuff about spray can solutions while running not meaning much , so cotton's words about no bubbles is it --and went down and made a adapter to bolt to the intake manifold added air, added, dish soap, and wow, bubble bath city, i coul;d,nt belive ,it, there were so many bubble's the only thing missing was a pretty girl--- gotta do it again tommorow-------its got o-ring adapters------------ never woulda tried it except for this site----------------tony s
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: bubble bath & siezing pan

Post by steinauge »

Those adaptors are in general endless trouble.If you are leaking between the adaptor and head it usually indicates a loose thread fit,if that is the case coat the threads with JB weld and it will seal right up.The adaptor is supposed to seat on the shoulder in the head but IME not many do.Sometimes a little machine work on the adaptor will fix this but a lot of them are just too short.Good luck .
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tony!

Don't forget to rinse the soap off thoroughly, as it can be very corrosive.

To test your conversion nipples individually, you will need a #9 cork or rubber stopper with a hole through it, as the clamps usually obscure the seam.
And you better test it after the JBWeld band-aid, too!

(And don't forget to test the pan cover screw over each intake port, just in case...)

Are the original rivet holes welded up, or..?

...Cotten
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

cotten---the orig. rivet holes have, allen head bolts in them, don't know what size, maybe 1/4, inch----i need to fine tune my pressure system,i just ran a hose from a small compessor to a plate on the t mainifold front ( carb mating surface), with a air fitting nipple, it leaks at the plate but my pressure is above 12-14 lbs, so even as it bleeds down i can still see lots and lots of bubble's,--------- going out now, to get some stuff, look for the cork stopper,---------- i removed the front manifold clamp, and ran test, leaks from the circumfrence, around outside of insert, rear head leaks at the allen bolt, i need a special tool to tighten, that insert also-right---should i take heads off, replace with new inserts- ( after crushing old ones in and replacing)- using jd weld, and test heads on bench-thanks everyone-----------------tony schuko
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tony!

Rubber stoppers can be found at most beer and wine-making shops.

Since most damage from removing nipples is caused by the distortion of threads from a rivet, yours should un-screw easily without crushing. Hopefully not too easily!

Your really need a regulated constant supply of air to show the tiniest of leaks, which may take thirty seconds to produce a blister of micro bubbles.

Considering the trouble you must go through, you may want to consider a return to original design.

....Cotten

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”