gas shut off rod tips and tricks

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

gas shut off rod tips and tricks

Post by john HD »

hey guys,

i am almost ready to mount my freshly painted original gas tanks on my 55 FL.

before i painted the tanks i tested the fit of the fuel shut off rod and everything seems fine with the alignment, it operates smothly and the rod slides up to reserve without binding.

i have a new crossover pipe from colony, the rest of the parts are original and seem to be in nice shape.

the bottom sealing surface of the left tank is nice and smooth and free of paint.

so here is the question, other than annealing the brass washers to make them soft again are there any tips or tricks to installing this assembly?

i would like to get it to NOT leak the first time.

are there any favored sealants, teflon tape (on the main threads only) or anything else you guys have had experiance with?

thanks in advance!

john
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

on mine I went to the hardware store and got some washers from the plumming section they are kinda a fiber washer, just take your parts with you and you will find a size that fits just right.
I also put a bit of pipe paste on the threaded part, this seams to have stoped all the weeps that I used to have. did this years ago and its still dry.

and if you look farther down the page you will see a post on 49 tanks. and it has info also .....go to the master, go now.

mbskeam
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Please avoid the unforgiving brass washers.

Instead, use two carb bowlnut crushwashers 27376-27 as available from most distributors. They seal with much less grief and torque.

Good luck,

...Cotten
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I had good luck with a reproduction crossover pipe that was cad plated. If your new tube is chrome, they are a bit harder to get to seal first time.
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Hi John

I followed Cotten’s advice on my last crossover line installation and it worked just fine. Previously I always had some “weep” with the brass washers.

One note of caution regarding tank installation and the crossover pipe. I have had two crossovers shear off where they attach to the right tank nipple. A very dangerous situation. Fortunately both times I was able to shut it down with out a fire. I traced the problem to not having the bottom front tank mounts secure. Prior to my ownership, someone had flattened the front frame mount against the frame. Although I thought a bolt through the two tank tabs was a solution, there was improper support of the tanks even though they felt secure. Apparently enough vibration occurred to weaken and finally snap the crossover pipe.

So be sure that the tank halves are securely bolted to that frame bracket.

Good luck

King

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

good advice from all.

my pipe is cad.

i will certainly check that the tanks are securely mounted. i have new hardware on order from aaok. they seem to be having some delivery problems at the moment due to moving their shop. i hope to get the bolts etc soon.

my original thought was to use the brass washers, i was going to heat them up with a propane torch to anneal them. that should soften them up enough to make them seal.

however, not having it leak is much more important to me than originality. the fiber washers certainly seem like a good solution.

i'll give it a try and report back.

thanks to all who replied!

john
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

John!

They are not fibre washers.
They are rolled copper crushwashers.

....Cotten
john HD

Post by john HD »

gotcha!

thanks cotten, i wouldn't know a linkert washer if it hit me on the head!

that's because i run a cv on my bike! perhaps i be shopping for one this year at davenport. :wink:

john
john HD

Post by john HD »

i found the copper crush washers at my local non authorized shop.

2 bucks each, and look to be a perfect fit. still waiting on the mounting bolts, aaok promises they are on the way.....

thanks for the tip cotten, the boys at the shop were interested in the idea too.

when i get my bolts and some time i should have them on soon.

john
john HD

Post by john HD »

got the tanks mounted and tested.

your tip worked perfectly cotton, no leaks! other than having a heck of a time to get the front gas line to line up everything went well!

john
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Awe cheeses.
Ironically, I have had a request to produce the seals out of PEEK.

Shoulda kept my mouth shut.

...Cotten
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

cotten....
I always knew you where okay........ :wink: LOL

mbskeam
55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

Re: gas shut off rod tips and tricks

Post by 55panFL »

Cotten wrote:Awe cheeses.

Ironically, I have had a request to produce the seals out of PEEK.

Shoulda kept my mouth shut.

...Cotten
Have you made any of these out of peek Cotten? Or do you still sugest the carb washers?

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”