"the digestive qualities of today's fuels"

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

"the digestive qualities of today's fuels"

Post by Frankenstein »

"as reflected in white sparkplugs even when in perfect tune".
Hi Cotten, Pulled you quote from another post as it rings a bell.
I take it that white insulators are a common sight with this stuff they call gas these days?
I ask because within the last year or so, the "new gas" has finally hit upstate NY. Last Fall pulled the plugs on the Flathead Bobber and was concerned with the totally white appearance of the plug insulators. The bike had been running great, no symptoms of leanness, but there is was.
Assuming the worst, I started playing with the carb (VM Mikuni, sorry) and only made the bike run worse and didn't really change the look of the plug.
I finally found a site on the web recently that describes reading plugs by looking at the ground electrode and the soot ring on the plug edge, basically ignoring the insulator.
Bike runs fine again
So, hopefully your comments are reinforcing what I've been seeing firsthand, yes?
Thanks,
DD
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: "the digestive qualities of today's fuels"

Post by Cotten »

DD!

What's really weird is when a resistor plug fouls out "clean".

Blame it on injector cleaners, Intake Valve Deposit (IVD) inhibitors, detergents, oxygenators, "nitrogenators", etc...
... and oh yeah, ethanol.

....Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

What's really weird is when a resistor plug fouls out "clean".
yes i just found out today's plugs do not have glazing on the tip anymore. who floods fuel injected motors these days? blondes perhaps, other than that almost no one.

so appearently the plug manufacturers have done away with glazing the tip of the electrode.

get them wet once and they are junk.

i can dig up the site with the info if you like....

john
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

some light reading for youse guys.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/fouling- ... on-vs-ngk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

comments?

john
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Thanks John, interesting read. I've suspected something was up as I've run into clean plugs that have fouled out. Now I know.
DD

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”