Intake Spacers / Duel throttle cables?

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
BastardBoy
Bikes: 1952 PanHead with 1948 Frame

Intake Spacers / Duel throttle cables?

Post by BastardBoy »

Hi All,

OK, I got a new CV40 Carb for my Pan. When I went to install it, The throttle tubes crashed with the front head:(. My current manifold seems to be 4-1/4" center-line of tubes to flange. I've been searching the internet all morning for a longer manifold with no luck, most descriptions don't even say how long the manifold is?

But I did run across spacers from V-Twin for S&S. Will these fit my CV40, with a hole spacing of 2-3/4"? The spacers come in 1" and 3/8" versions. It look like I need about 1-1/2" additional length so I have to go with three spacers (1" + 3/8" + 3/8") not crazy about that!

I am a little confused about terminology like "B Carb base", what does all mean?

I have searched the net looking for dimensional information, again no luck.

The spacer route is my second choose as I want to keep the number of intake joints to a minimum. I would rather go with a longer manifold but until I can locate one, spacers will have to do!

One more question,
Throttle cable, My bike has a single cable now. It looks like the new carb will accept either a single or duel cable set-up. What is the advantage of a duel cable set up? The cable has to be replaced anyway so if there is an advantage I will make the change now.

Thanks,
I would have never got through this project without the help from this forum, You guys and gals are truly a wealth of knowledge! I will post pictures soon!

Thanks
BastardBoy
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Intake Spacers / Duel throttle cables?

Post by RUBONE »

BB,
The Letters refer to S&S carb designations and are drilled to match the various carbs. Search this forum as there should be a thread on adapting a CV. The hot setup is an offset manifold to clear the head and keep the carb tucked in to the engine. As far as dual cables that is part of a federally mandated safety issue for positive shut-off. Set it up however it suits you best.
Robbie
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

oooooops
Last edited by hplhd on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

there is alot of info here for running your cv. i have a cv carb on one of my pans that is been being put together. there is a real nice adapter for your cv so it will bolt to your sns manifold from a cat on ebay
try
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT
this with a spacer fixed any kind of clarence prob i had. i only have the one throttle cable.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

You can find more info on CV's in the Knowledge Base: viewforum.php?f=59
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

BB,

As RUBONE mentioned, it's nice to use an offset manifold because it will make room for your throttle linkage and allow you to keep the carb tight against the motor. The longer manifolds really push the carb out to the right and you have to snake your leg around the air cleaner.

I took a standard S&S "E" panhead intake and had it shortened 1 3/4". I also asked them to offset it about 3/16". Then I install the intake so that the offset goes to the rear leaving plenty of room for the throttle linkage (after tweaking it just slightly).

I don't use the throttle return cable so I just cut off that part of the linkage.

Here are some photos:

S&S "E" panhead intake manifold. Shortened 1 3/4" and offset 3/16"...
DCP_3272.jpg
DCP_3272.jpg (153.1 KiB) Viewed 722 times
CV40 installed on panhead using the above intake. I use a single 1/4" thick insulator block between the intake and carb to keep the carb for getting too hot.
DCP_3282.jpg
DCP_3282.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Close-up of the throttle linkage to head clearance. The fit is snug but no rubbing. The return cable linkage has been cut off.
DCP_3284.jpg
DCP_3284.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 722 times
BastardBoy
Bikes: 1952 PanHead with 1948 Frame

Post by BastardBoy »

caschnd1,

Thanks for the pictures. looks like the way to go. Now to find a good aluminum welder.

Thanks for the feed back!
BB
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

caschnd1, that manifold sure looks like the way to go. i didnt have the money or the resources so i had to do it a difrnt way. heck, even with the stock length manifold my aircleaner only sticks out a little past my tank. surely not enough to interfere with my leg.
man i wish i could weld like that. did you do it or have it done.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Or just tip the carb back a bit so the linkage clears the head before pressing the addaptor on...Mike
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

hplhd wrote:caschnd1, that manifold sure looks like the way to go. i didnt have the money or the resources so i had to do it a difrnt way. heck, even with the stock length manifold my aircleaner only sticks out a little past my tank. surely not enough to interfere with my leg.
man i wish i could weld like that. did you do it or have it done.
My carb really stuck out there before I shortened the manifold. Probably looked more exagerated because my bike is very narrow.

I had a local fabricator shorten and offset the manifold per my instructions. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to weld aluminum. Wish I had both!

Before shortening the intake:
DCP_1900.jpg
DCP_1900.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 722 times

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”