Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
wahoo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 EL
1960 FL
2008 Buell 1125R

fuel shutoff will not seal

Post by wahoo »

I have been fighting the fuel leaks for several weeks now. I painted my '48 tanks, assembled them with OE shut off nut, OE shut off rod and AM cross over line ( I sanded both sides of the banjo ( on table saw top to be sure it was flat and to be sure the chrome was not an issue). They leaked like crazy from the banjo line and the crush washers. I bought new brass washers, still leaks. I cut the cross over line apart and just used the right side end of that line and used another banjo with hose barb on it designed to use rubber line. Still leaks.
I took everthing apart again, made sure all the paint was off the sealing surfaces and tried again, still leaks.
I took it all apart again and applied permatex aviation grade sealer to the bottom of the tank and to the threads for the shut off nut, used the hose barb banjo and tightened everything up.
I used sealer in the washer surface of the left tank and the threads for the shut off nut because there is a piece of one thread missing from the left tank and some pitting on the washer sealing surface.
Reinstalled fuel tanks dry and let the sealer cure for 24 hours. Tonight I poured maybe a gallon of gas in the right side tank with the shut off rod screwed in and guess what.......... still leaks.
I have not let any fuel get to the carb yet, I want to see if the sealer breaks down over the next few days.
Anyone have a miracle cure for sealing fuel tank/ line leaks? will hylomar work in this application?
My garage is attached to the house and while the wife is very accomidating about bikes/hotrods/smells, the house reeks of gas sometimes. I also have a gas water heater... sure don't want to explode my toys and burn my house down over a fuel leak.
Help please
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: fuel shutoff will not seal

Post by john HD »

wahoo,

try a pair of linkert bowl nut crush washers and see what happens.

john
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The Linkert bowl gaskets will stop the leaks. You may have to flatten them slightly to get the rod seat to start threading into the tank.
VPH-D
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dammit that was MY secret.
wahoo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 EL
1960 FL
2008 Buell 1125R