Wrench size for intake

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Rainjester

Wrench size for intake

Post by Rainjester »

Author: Rainjester

Can any of you tell me what size wrench I need to use to remove the nuts on the plumbed style intake for a 53 pan motor? I don't have one that big and need to pick up a wrench for it. It's definitely leaking through the front nipple on the intake and I need to pull it apart.

Jester-

Post by Jack Hester on May 10, 2004, 11:30pm

Rainjester -

You will need a 2-1/8" Manifold Wrench.

Jack

Post by Rainjester on May 13, 2004, 1:06am

I looked around to see if I can find a manifold wrench for this without much success. No place I could find on the Internet. Even the folks at the local HD shop couldn't find one. Is this something readily available to purchase somewhere?

Jester-

Post by haggis on May 13, 2004, 3:16am

Jester, V-Twin (dammit!!!) carries them...are you in Europe? if so maybe Zodiac...or do what I did and make your own...good luck. Haggis

Post by Rainjester on May 13, 2004, 3:34am

Thanks!

Im in the states. Got a link to V-twin or at least a phone number? I'll weigh the cost of it and if it's worth pestering my neighbor to fabricate one. ;D

jester-

Post by PanPal on May 13, 2004, 3:59am

Try looking up Martin wrenches. They make machine wrenches that are pretty affordable.

Post by billy on May 13, 2004, 4:19am

Local auto parts store carries their own -off brand & are very affordable $25. bucks. I'm holding one in my picture 1 7/8" for my Flatty, also great weapon, should the need arise.. ;D
V-twain won't sell to the individual, if you go that route, you will have to buy thru local shop that is hooked-up w/ them.

Post by Jack Hester on May 13, 2004, 5:28am

Rainjester -

Two places to look: VTwinRebuild and NOSparts, both in Ohio. The wrench will be an aftermarket, probably from V-Twin. It will look and work just like the original.

Jack

Post by Weez on May 13, 2004, 6:29am

V-TWIN WON'T BUT they have a shop/affiliate that will called ZOOM Cycle 1 888 316 1994 or http://www.zoomcycleLLC.com [ZoomCycle@aol.com] I use them when ever neccessary, and it usually works out that way. Good Luck

Post by Rainjester on May 13, 2004, 10:06pm

Zoomcycle has the 2 1/8" intake manifold wrench.
Part number: 16-0109
Thanks for the tip weezeo!

jester-

Post by Rainjester on Jun 25, 2004, 8:02pm

I've gotta give my opinion and you a heads up on this 2 1/8" manifold wrench that I bought for the plumbing style intake from Zoomcycle (and is the same one listed in V-twin's catalog)
The metal is too soft and keeps opening itself wider. Of course, I really didn't have to use it until the past week or so, but right away when I started tightening the nut without much muscle put into it, the wrench started expanding itself wider than 2 1/8" and eventually was slipping off. I'd have to 'tap' it on the cement floor to get it back to it's right size.
After working with it a little bit to try and lock down the manifold nuts, now the metal on the wrench itself is 'stripping' on the sides that connects to the nut.
Thumbs down on the soft material use to create this tool. I'd advise you not to waste your money buying this. I'm going to have a machine shop make me one with a harder material.

jester-

Post by billy on Jun 25, 2004, 8:10pm

I have to agree with you Jester, that's why I said the local auto-parts sells a "real" wrench, & is their own brand [inexpensive]. but not a display toy.

Post by Rainjester on Jun 26, 2004, 1:46am

Local auto parts store carry's the 1 7/8" wrench that would work on your flatty, but they don't carry the 2 1/8" wrench. I went to all three in the area and they didn't have any over 2". Didn't check to see if they can special order a 2 1/8" but I may do that.
Hmm.. I dunno about ordering crap from V-twin (Zoomcycle) anymore after this experience. If a company is more interested in making money rather than making quality parts, screw em'.

jester-

Post by billy on Jun 26, 2004, 4:31am

I would think they possibly could get it. I have gotten extra large [over 2"] sockets from them. Might be able to get an open-end.
Just a thought..

Post by billy on Jun 27, 2004, 1:42am

Jester, try to return the defective "wrench" & see how that goes.
They are quick to Sell.

Post by 57stroker on Jun 27, 2004, 4:49pm

If you have access to a torch and/or grinder you could make your own out of some 3/8" plate. Done this several times for large expensive wrenches.
jim50EL
Bikes: 1950 EL, 1972 FX

Re: Wrench size for intake

Post by jim50EL »

I use a Wright service wrench #1468. 2 1/8" E-bay or Google it. A piece of pipe can work for extension handle if needed.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”