Which fuel petcock

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jarhead
Bikes: -

Which fuel petcock

Post by jarhead »

Running a after market chrome duplicate original style petcock on my 62 with the newer type fat bob tanks. It dosen"t seem to flow like it should. Is the Pingel High Flow petcock the way to go? My motor is stock except for a S&S carb. I just want the best performance possible. Anyone else running a Pingel? All comments and information is appreciated.
Cotten

Re: Which fuel petcock

Post by Cotten »

Chubblehead petcocks had a screen on top of them, inside the tank. Perhaps yours is clogged?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

If you were running a 100" monster motor you would "Need" a Hi-Flo petcock. But your stock Pan w/S&S E should be fine with a "clean screen" on your stock petcock. Drain your Gas & remove petcock & check.
This is also a Maintenance step, that very often gets overlooked.
If you have to spend money, Pingel, Accel & Golan & many more. Flow WAY more than enough! I like the Golan as it comes with a replacement O-ring & that's it to rebuild it. ;D
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Sometimes, you can use a flashlight to check the screen. Saves you from draining the gas. Teek a peek every service. A harley mechanic showed me this after he quit laughing his ass off when I told him I took it apart every oil change, just like the manual says...
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

57, Once a year removal is often enough.
& You can't always see it well w/flashlight.
Especially down low. Every oil change is too often.
Mechanics that work at Harley are good at skipping things to make life easier on themselves. Not everywhere, but 1 dealer near me. But that's a good thing for me, as I seem to get the pissed off owners that paid too much & got too little, & I take good care of their bikes & treat them right. ;D
PBR

Post by PBR »

Jarhead, buy a Pingel, you'll never be sorry. A lot of people have copied Wayne's designs. The first Pingel I bought I sent back to have rebuilt, they replaced it with a completely different one-NO CHARGE Also, for anyone running dual carbs you'll never get a stock petcock to flow enough for dual carbs. BREWSKI
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

PBR, I think Pingel makes a great product, & I use them too. But a Stock motor will run fine with a stock petcock that has a clean screen. Sure bigger motors & more carbs need more flow. I was trying to save Jarhead some dough. You Know?? As I mentioned.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Check the screen and sure enough it was clogged. It"s back together and runs fine! Thanks cotton , 57 stroker,Billy. Anytime you can save money and do it yourself is a pleasure .
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

My 2 cents on petcocks. With the stock setup on my 51FL I have the thru-the tank shut off. About 20 years ago it finally wore out its seat and started to let gas thru which of course eventually overcame the carb float and ended up on the garage floor. Being lazy and not in possession of the secret tank valve alignment tool, I looked about for an inline shut off. What I came up with was a brass affair that, though cumbersome, neatly fit into my copper fuel line just below the tank. But after a few months these things would gum up requiring a pliers to turn them and then they would start leaking. So this winter I searched for a simple plastic valve and finally found one at the John Deere store for $6.00. It is small, turns easily, and doesn't leak.
I mounted it in a section of "rubber" fuel line just below the inlet on my Bendix and still had room to install my fuel filter vertically below. The fuel filter used to be in a horizontal position behind the rear jug and would vapor lock from time to time leading to embarrassing and occasionally dangerous shut downs. Thanks to Cotton I learned that horizontal filters are prone to that and moving it to a vertical position has eliminated the problem.
So if you need such a shut-off the local small engine shop is the place to look I think Briggs and Stratton is the maker.

King

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”