Having fuel problems

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Having fuel problems

Post by 03Roadking »

After 4 weeks of down time I finale got the pan on the road again It was running fine when I rolled it up on the lift All I did was a lot of little things like move the regulator, New gear seal on the trans, Chain guard ETC and one big thing, have the springer straightened (I will post pic's later)
Any way I poured 3 gals of gas into her and went to kick en, it fired up and sounded good. I took off down the road, at about 5 miles I was sitting at a light and it began to miss like it was running out of gas, if I twisted the throttle it went flat, it finale died. I pushed it into a gas station and checked it over I could see gas in the filter but not a lot. I kicked it a few times and it fired up but died about 30 seconds later it did this for about 45 minuets (wait 10 Min's kick then it would run for a few then die) I took the gas cap off while it was running and it didn't make any difference. I thought it was the float but it seems OK (Carb rebuilt less that 40 miles)
I pushed it over to the pump and filled the tank, it only took 6/10 of a gal to top it off. I kicked it twice, it fired up just like there wasn't a problem I rode it home let it sit for 20 minuets kicked it twice it fired up and I rode it back to the gas station (Yea I know glutton for punishment) made a U turn and came back without a problem.
Bendix Carb.
I have the vent tube under the dash hooked up and clear
the line from tank to tank in the front is clear
I did put a new glass fuel filter on
I ran the fuel line from the tank to the seat post then to the carb. keeping away from the cylinder
Checked the float
I am running out of ideas I will run it tonight for about 20 miles to see if it does it again But I wanted to see if anyone has run into this or had some ideas
Thanks
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: Having fuel problems

Post by rigidpanman »

if it dies again remove the cap and ride it for a while and see what happens.it might not be venting properly and you will notice its not usually a problem until there is some air space in the tank for it to create a vacuum.
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Did you by any chance take the air filter off to see if it was squirting fuel when you twist the throttle? If it squirts fuel then it appears that your float is OK - or at least it is letting in enough fuel to fill the acceleratator pump reservoir.
If the float's OK then maybe you just had some crud stuck in the low speed jet. But, I'm not leaning real heavily toward this option because you said that when it started to miss and you twisted the throttle it went flat. This seems to indicate that the accel. pump res. did not have any fuel either.
So, we're back to the float I think. You said that the carb was rebuilt less than 40 miles ago so I'm thinking that the fuel problem is somehow related to the carb. rebuild. I know that things can seem perfectly OK when you're working on them at the workbench but I think somehow your float is sticking.

Just my .02
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

I'm getting to know the owners of this gas station (nice people) rode it again last night she quit a half a block from the same gas station, this time I had a set of tools with me. But all I did was squeeze the fuel line just below the filter and bubbles floated up into the filter I did this about 6 times until no more bubbles showed up I kicked it and she fired up and I rode it home So I think it is in the float My question is has anybody had a dealing with these rubber tipped float valves verses the all steel ones
When I rebuilt the carb it had an all steel pin but both rebuild kits have the rubber tipped so that's what I put in
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I hear and read that some fuels are messing up the vitron tiped needles.
mbskeam
Sonny
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 pan

Post by Sonny »

Put in the all-steel pin, can't go wrong that way.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Mbskeam
That was the word I was looking for (vintron) I read the same thing but I didn't put the two together I think Cotten posted that statement in another thread I will pull the carb in the morning and replace it

Here's something I learned today Out here we have Chevron gas which I have used for years I took the float seat to the shop where I buy my parts I was trying to match or pick up an all steel seat, when I showed it to the guy he said theres nothing wrong with it, so I told him what was happening and he said Don't use chevron gas from what he has heard the Techron additive affects the rubber tip and any other rubber that comes in direct contact with the fuel
He did not have or know where to get an all steel seat with out buying the whole rebuild kit and he was sure if he did order one in, it would come with the vitron tip does anybody here know if the all steel ones are still out there?

I decided to go over everything again here is what I did
Cleaned plugs
Checked timing with timing light
Removed carb checked air and fuel passages
reset float
removed pit-cock and screen took apart and cleaned
flushed tank twice I put a 5 gal can and large funnel with cheese cloth under pit-cock hole held my finger over hole poured in two gal's of gas shook tank then removed my finger and let it run into the funnel nothing came out but the gas the cloth was clean both times
fired bike up ran it around the block two times to warm it up. Came back to the house reset air screw, reset adjustable main jet, reset idle.

Rode 5 miles to my buddies house had him ride with me
(having someone to talk to while your sitting by the side of the rode Priceless)
Bike fired first kick idles nice rode three miles to gas station topped off tank (Note left cap loose just rattling on bung) bike fired first kick, we rode 35 miles to a little cigar store stopped there for a stoogie, Bike fired first kick, went three signals and it acted like it was running out of gas, twist throttle and it would go flat rolled over to the curb kicked it twice and it fired right up went about three blocks and it started to sputter, I reached down and squeezed the fuel line below the filter about five times and it came back to life. We stopped about three miles down the rode had a soda and sat there for about 1/2 hour Bike fired first kick rode it 20 miles to home without a problem. I know this is long but I wanted to tell it exactly as it went down to see if anyone could give me anymore ideas where to look.
Or if someone can tell me where to pickup an all steel float valve for a Bendix carb that's the only thing I can think of is wrong BUT if it was the Viton tip wouldn't it do it all the time??
flash

Post by flash »

try insulating the fuel line, might be vapor locking
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

The fuel line goes down from the tank to the seat post on the frame then back up to the carb the closest it comes to the engine is about 4" I put a new insulating block between the carb and manifold, the carb is lower than the tank so the flow shouldn't be a problem you might be onto something.
What do you use for insulation??
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

it aint vapor locking
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Then what is it doing ??? or not doing
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Why don't you try getting rid of the new glass filter and see what happens. Won't hurt to ride a few days without it, 'specially since you just flushed the tanks. Maybe it's a lousy design filter, too restrictive, gets an air bubble stuck in it, or something. Process of elimination...
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Just reread your post where you mentioned "cleaned your petcock screen". Have heard quite a few times on the IH board to not run both a petcock screen and an inline filter, that gravity feed isn't enough to flow well through both. Definitely try losing the inline filter.
kell

Post by kell »

03RKing
You certainly have a circuitous fuel line.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Where is your filter located , is it sideways , up & down. Some times it matters how its located in the fuel line. You should also watch how far it goes and how long a run . I like the fuel filter right below the fuel valve pointing down. I also do not like those clear type filters , I use an automotive type fuel filter or one of those billet type you can get from JP's or the like. I know some will say you can't see the fuel flow or can't see fuel in the system , but if I really think theres a problem , I take the line off the carb fitting and open the fuel valve and see how it runs into a container.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”