CV carb on a Panhead

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
griffin49

CV carb on a Panhead

Post by griffin49 »

I have a CV carb off of a 98 Dyna on my Pan. It has a tendency to cough will at an idle and while going down the road. Twist the stick and no acceleration problems.
I'm going to follow the jetting recommendations posted on Craig's panhead Chopper site, but the coughing sounds like a idle mixture issue.
While at an idle if I choke it a bit, it won't die but will continue to cough............excellerator pump? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.........
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: CV carb on a Panhead

Post by caschnd1 »

The first thing I'd do is pressure test the intake. Make sure its sealed tight to the heads.
If it coughs while driving down the road, it's not likely to be the idle mixture adjustment. Also, I doubt it's an accelerator pump issue since it accelerates with no problems when you open the throttle.
What are your current jets and needle?

-Craig
griffin49

Post by griffin49 »

Not sure what the current jets are, have the new ones as posted. I believe the intake is tight as I changed the after market chrome clamps back to stock, also sprayed some W-D and saw no signs of leakage as I did before changing the clamps.
I messed around with the idle mixture a bit but still coughs (gasp) at an idle.

Mike
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

If the current jets were used on a Evo or TC88 they are not doubt lean on the slow jet.
I don't trust the WD40 method of checking for intake leaks. Since I started using Cotton's pressure testing method, I know for sure when I do and don't have a leak. That's the only way I test for leaks now.
Get those jets set up (don't even need to remove the carb to swap the jets) and set the idle mixture to 2 turns out as a starting point.

-Craig
griffin49

Post by griffin49 »

Thanks Craig, I'll try that and let you know.
Thanks again for the help,

Mike

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”