CV carb manifold adapter

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

CV carb manifold adapter

Post by hplhd »

hey guys, i finaly got a cv to put on my 59 pile of parts. i have been following the threads. i picked up the intake adapter from the cat on ebay and my dumb a$$ question is do you put a bead of jb weld in the lip of the adapter then press it on or am i about to go about it all wrong. i know some of you guys are running this adapter and i don't want to screw it up right out of the gate. thanks,rich
sleeper

Re: CV carb manifold adapter

Post by sleeper »

hplhd1-

I put a little around both, *adapter lead-in edge & carb spigot OD* then what squeezes out the carb ID after fully seated, I clean off thoroughly..
But what squeezes out the back of the adapter around the OD of the carb, I just leave for a Lil extra insurance.
Never had a problem this way... I do cv's a lot..

PS: make sure you have the adapter aligned properly B4 U press..

Additionally, I stud ALL the adapters I use (w/red loc-tite) easier to take off nuts than keep winding bolts outta aluminum..
& fab up a good carb support bracket...
jackrocks
Inactive member

Post by jackrocks »

The below pictures show a S&S "E" manifold for an EVO (yea, yea, I know) with the flange machined into a spigot to accept a CV carb. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is enough material on a S&S "E" manifold for a panhead to do the same thing to. Anyone interested?

and with grommet in place

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks billy, i have a handful of things i am going to do and have wanted to try the cv for awile. i just can't seem to leave shit alone.
now if i can find the f'ing time.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

hplhd1-

Yea me too, I just can't leave shit alone.... ;)
(gotta modify)

PS: avoid the JB Quik set stuff...

jackrocks-

I see where you're going, but you then have to anchor the carb to the heads somewhat like evos do..
I'll stick to the adapters & keep using the phenolic spacers...
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

hplhd1-

Additionally, I stud ALL the adapters I use (w/red loc-tite) easier to take off nuts than keep winding bolts outta aluminum..

I've thought about doing that too, but it seems to me that there is not enough clearance on the back side of the S&S manifold for a hex nut, and certainly not enough clearance to get a socket on the nut. Are you using a different manifold or modifying it somehow to give more clearance?

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”