Another question about leaking manifold

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jarhead
Bikes: -

Another question about leaking manifold

Post by jarhead »

Let me get this straight; on my 62, with S&S carb,I can replace the o-rings with a shovelhead rubberband style seal and clamp? I realize my intake is leaking after reading some of the other questions on this forum and using the advice posted.If I needa adapter, is it a spigot- style adapter? All advice is appreciated. I'm slowly learning about my pan. Alot coming from this forum!!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Another question about leaking manifold

Post by Cotten »

It is possible, but not practical, as you have to pull a head to do it!
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

I had very bad experiment with these rubber band seal; the use of spacers to fill the gap of non used o ring seal will saw your rubber band after some few miles (Am i clear in my word?)
O ring seal works very well if you TAKE CARE to align properly your heads with your intake manifold, if not, any kind of seal won't be ok.
Pan6161
Inactive member

Post by Pan6161 »

I have a friend who recommended the use of these spacers and has run them for quite a while. I dont know how many miles. I hope they work for me, Mine came from J&P vintage P/N 4000200. If I end up with the same problems as dirty district I'll sure post a note. Does anyone have recommended machine shop for the rebuilding of the lips on my heads?
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

I would stick with O-rings and decent clamps, and just accept the fact that you have to replace them every year. The other options, even if done optimally, will still not do any better a job than the O-rings when they are done properly. Plus, going the O-ring route is a lot easier in most cases.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”