MPG + reserve: how many miles per gallon

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panoply

MPG + reserve: how many miles per gallon

Post by panoply »

My 59 FLH is new to me. I'm curious to know how many miles per gallon others get on a basically stock panhead. Is it true that once I get into my reserve I should bee-line it to the next gas station, that the reserve is a little more than 4 miles? Don't want to find that one out the hard way.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: MPG + reserve

Post by Jack_Hester »

Panopoly -

I haven't had my 59 FLH on a road trip, for some time. Plan to next year, though. From what I remember, when it was active on distance trips, I could get 35 to 40 mpg. Closer to 35. Worse, if I spent too much time on the Interstates, as it is geared fairly low. I ran it out of gas, not far from home, one time. Seems I got about 15 or so miles on reserve. I have one of Cotten's new floats to put in it, during next Spring's (05) engine/tranny rebuild. The Linkert will get a thorough working over. I have always had a high respect for those carbs.

Jack
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello, I was kinda wondering the same thing about the mileage you guys get. I get 130 miles to the tank 3.5 gal witch means 37 mpg. that is with it sucking fumes. go any father and I am pushing it . My reserve lets me go about 15 miles or so. that is with .470 lift cam,mikuni 38mm round slide carb and staight pipes. that is when it is running :'( :'( If you really want to know fill it up set the trip metor and run it till you run it dry . that is with some rollowing with gas. I did it the hard way, pushing on a sunny sun morning after I pasted the gas station about 3 miles back. dumb, dumb ......
mbskeam
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

I'm running the split tanks (2.5 gal each) with the internal (inside the tank & my shut off knob is on the top of the tank by the gas cap) petcock. I'm getting around 40 mpg and have roughly a 1.5 gal reserve.

Looks like 140 miles main/60 miles reserve on the high side.

I have never run the tanks dry, so I'm making some assumptions that I don't think I'll test.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”