Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

STD Heads Manifold

Post by King »

Hi All

I have STD heads on my 51 FL and currently mount a Bendix carb. I would like to look at the option of mounting a Linkert 74B which would necessatate a new intake manifold. Has anyone mounted a Linkert on STD heads, and if so where did you obtain the manifold? I contacted STD but they do not make manifolds.

Thanks

King
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: STD Heads Manifold

Post by DuoDave »

I have STD heads with a Linkert carb. I used my original HD manifold. My STD heads are configured exactly like the original HD heads, so the stock exhaust and carb manifold bolt straight on. I assume you have the earlier style STD heads which have the shovelhead exhaust and intake setup?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Assuming you have the STD heads with the shovel type intake there are a couple of options that come to mind. You could have someone fab up a plate with the Linkert bolt pattern. Then cut the 2-bolt plate off your intake and replace it with your newly fabbed plate. Option #2 would be to cut the carb end off a stock Linkert intake, cut your 2-bolt intake and graft the piece from the Linkert intake onto the shovel intake. BUT... either of these tricks is going to give you a carb that is sticking waaaay out on the right side. The shovel intake ports are not in the right place to make it possible to tuck a linkert in nice and tight.

-Craig
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Thanks Guys

Yes I do have the shovelhead type intakes (Y style) so the Linkert will probably stick out too far. I might look at a CV carb as they are a bit shorter.

King
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

King , go to the CV-40 , you will not be diapointed in performance , starting , and noadays , fuel mileage .

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”