American Iron May Article On Floats

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

American Iron May Article On Floats

Post by kevsett »

Not sure it's been posted here but I accidentally came across a .pdf file of the American Iron May article on changing old floats to new floats. Guess who's durable float is the star of the show?

http://www.aimag.com/pdfs/5-08%20Tech%2 ... Floats.pdf

Can I get an autographed copy (From Buzz AND Cotten)? 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The article came as quite a surprise after the CAI forum moderator harassed and censored me.
My plea for freedom of speech was met with a rebuke as a "troublemaker" from Mr. Kanter, as well as with distain for the First Amendment. (An appalling attitude for a publisher who enjoys the Constitution's protection, as well as a blatant insult to the millions around the World who have lost life and limb to secure such freedoms.)

The article was inaccurate in at least two measures;
I am not a retired chemist.
More importantly, my DURABLE floats are to be set at book spec. The suggestion of setting them otherwise is journalism at its worst.

We should all be as greatfull as I am that this Forum and its Moderators hold to a much higher standard!

...Cotten
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

It's always a problem when someone else "touches" an author's work. They bend the author's facts to fit their own needs.
"Editors" should be renamed "Meddler's". Ask any author that has published books through Motorbooks International.....the V-Twin of publishing. Revised editions of anything they print are never going to happen.
I wrote a pictorial "once" for IronWorks Magazine, about the 8 o'clock starting position of a Big Twin. Perfectly explained in print to Dain Gingerelli, and it came out backwards. Captions did not match the pics. Boo! I'll never write anything for any publication without a written agreement, that they won't publish anything until I've read it. We checked our info with all manufacturers before we printed it, and I'd rather be muted than mis-quoted. At least here, we have an edit button.
True, this site is the best place for the unvarnished truth. State something wrong and you'll hear about it quick. Magazines are slug-reads - too generalized for any real mechanical benefit. You can't change printed material, but you can change cyber material at will.
We're already starting to make inroads into the paper media, television is next..
Hyrda-Glide.com is where the OHV news of today is.
Think not? Go visit the other sites and read the topics and count the hits. Panheads are the eye magnet.
What this country needs is someone who can crack ethanol into higher octane with an upper cylinder lubricant (dump a load of Marvel Oil into the soup). It's up to the private sector to make an industry from new fuel, along with air scrubbers for those fountains of filth in China.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin

Why Magazines should Simul-Cast w/ Hydra-Glide.com

Post by VintageTwin »

I keep thinking about it, so that means I have to say it.
We are fortunate to have Buzz and his article to dis-assemble piece by piece.
First and foremost, he's a '48 Pan owner, who took his machine for restorative work over to Dale, at Wheels Through Time, but he hasn't taken apart his machine (opened the gear case, checked for gear free play, measured oil breather gear end-clearance, etc.) enough to know it. So, when he writes about it, he can't write it correctly, b/c he didn't contact the "true author" of the float and simply give him the material and ask, "Can you look at this and check the facts for accuracy and re-write it as you need it, but try and keep the dialog within the "white lines" I've already established?"
To which request, the true author may have replied, "Sure, I can work that into my schedule for "X" amount of dollars, when do you need it?"

Note: It takes 6 months, from when I submit a technically correct article until it hits the new stands.

We own the Panheads technically, not the magazines or Harley-Davidson®. Our members are world-wide. Ask us before you publish something that you know is not 100% mechanically correct, or we will correct it for you.
Thanks Buzz for being an example. I like your site and the way you run it, but there is not enough Pan octane. My pre-1960 mind runs on 92 test and this is the only station.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

And they spelled your name wrong. Unless you really do spell it Cotton !
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i think you should call him kant buzzer as iron horse did years ago!

john
1950Bobber

Bravo!

Post by 1950Bobber »

You guys have my support...I'm here, but I'm also there...I made my Intro by naming THIS site as being made up of the real "afficienardo" (again, Sp?) of "old iron".

Thank you very much...I choose, HERE! The HELL with there....if you get my drift Mr. Kant Buzzer, or whatever you call yourself!!!!!!

Jim in Seattle '1950 Bobber"
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Kant Buzzer
The guys a member of this site. He took the time to print the article, he just should have ask cotten to proof it. It takes reading something like that 10 times minimum and you still find mistakes in stuff. Technical writing is a ball buster.....I had all kind of "plumbing tems" in Vol. 2, before Stett brought it to my attention.
Bu' zard (french for buzz) will do better next time. He's always welcome here and his comments, imo. This is a site where no personal attacks are allowed.
1950Bobber

Disdain!

Post by 1950Bobber »

VT wrote:The guys a member of this site. He took the time to print the article, he just should have ask cotten to proof it. It takes reading something like that 10 times minimum and you still find mistakes in stuff. Technical writing is a ball buster.....I had all kind of "plumbing terms" in Vol. 2, before Stett brought it to my attention.
Bu' zard (french for buzz) will do better next time. He's always welcome here and his comments, imo. This is a site where no personal attacks are allowed. A Pan haven. Peace.
Mr. VT, I intend no long and winded rebuke of this man, but ITS THE BEHAVIOR I DISAPPROVE OF:

"My plea for freedom of speech was met with a rebuke as a "troublemaker" from Mr. Kanter, as well as with distain for the First Amendment. (An appalling attitude for a publisher who enjoys the Constitution's protection, as well as a blatant insult to the millions around the World who have lost life and limb to secure such freedoms.) "

...for THAT, I make NO APOLOGY, Sir! I'm a Vet, and I hold my right to the same set of rules I placed my life on, freedom of speech.

Unless of course you would have us believe Cotten is exaggerating....which I know you are NOT! In my opinion, a man answers for the way he presents himself, at least in my book...and that for me INCLUDES HERE! If I must be stifled for that...I'll then read all your threads from now on and hold comment for the remainder of my time on this board...but I do not believe that You, Sir are the Moderator here. But I do support your right to chastise me. Funny, I don't hear you commenting on the unfair behavior perpetrated on Cotten!

He (Buzz Kanter) is an important man to some in the biking world...but he, like everyone else must be held accountable. I trust Cotten's word, he's proved himself...

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”