CV carb and mallory ignition

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hvilshoej
Inactive member

CV carb and mallory ignition

Post by hvilshoej »

Hi
I am new at this forum and happy to read all the good advises concerning our beloved Pans. I come from Denmark, Europe and I hope that you understand me anyway. I will do my very best.
I have problem though - i recently installed a brand new CV carb from a 99 stock evo and a mallory distribution on my 49 panhead (bobber).
It will hardly start and when it starts it will run for a couple of seconds and die as soon I just look at the throttle.
Can anyone help me with an easy adjustment guide for the mallory and what jets on the carb to use.

Is it possible to use an air stack instead of a normal air cleaner and still have a bike that starts and run easily.

Thanks
Morten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

morten

first, welcome to the forum! please take a few moments to register and become a member. you will get more responses than posting as a guest.

your description sounds lean, if it is running on the enrichner(choke) and you open the throttle and it dies that means the pilot circuit is lean.

you might try a 175 main jet and a pilot jet around the 42 to 45 range. it should start and run. you will need to remove the plug on the air screw and fine tune it from there.

the air stack might work, however CV carbs like relatively still air to make the slide work properly. i would use a aircleaner.

as for the ignition i cannot comment as all i have ever had is a magneto or stock battery/breaker points type on my bike.

i'm sure someone will jump in.

john
hvilshoej
Inactive member

bobber

Post by hvilshoej »

john HD wrote:morten

first, welcome to the forum! please take a few moments to register and become a member. you will get more responses than posting as a guest.

your description sounds lean, if it is running on the enrichner(choke) and you open the throttle and it dies that means the pilot circuit is lean.

you might try a 175 main jet and a pilot jet around the 42 to 45 range. it should start and run. you will need to remove the plug on the air screw and fine tune it from there.

the air stack might work, however CV carbs like relatively still air to make the slide work properly. i would use a aircleaner.

as for the ignition i cannot comment as all i have ever had is a magneto or stock battery/breaker points type on my bike.

i'm sure someone will jump in.

john
Hi John

Thanks for your comments - I will try with the new jets, and a aircleaner.
I have already registered as a member as you recommended.
Thanks again

Morten
charles
Inactive member

Post by charles »

Hi,
+1 with the answer to John HD.
For the air cleaner, you can use a K&N air filter with your original linkert cover( try this site)
I don't know me too for the Mallory, I have take the option to put a Dyna S in the original cover for keep original aspect, and it's work great with the CV, except when my Panhead is hot. In this case, the cylinders are encumbered by a white smoke, which I am obliged to evacuate by removing the air filter, and by opening the throttle (motor stop) then only one kick and starts again without problem?? When I kick without this procedure, I have not compression? Problem of too important richness?????
hvilshoej
Inactive member

Post by hvilshoej »

Hi again

What kind of aircleaner do you use with the CV carb. Do you bolt the carb or aircleaner to the motor somehow or do you just mount with the rubber gasket between manifold and carb.
Cheers
Morten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

morten

here is what i did for years before i returned to a linkert for originality reasons.

the manafold i used was a common type that has a 2 bolt mount, to that i got a spigot style rubber adaptor that holds the carb with a hose clamp.

i made my aircleaner backing plate out of some heavy sheetmetal. i used the face of the carb as a pattern to make the opening. to that i added a stock foam aircleaner and a cover from a late model bike. on the back of the mounting plate i made a support bracket that ran to the top of the crankase bolt.

from a distance it looked stock and used commonly available parts.

there are some suppliers that make an aluminum press on adaptor to mount CV carbs. they are supposed to work well i have never used one.

john
charles
Inactive member

Post by charles »

I have forget to put the link in my precedent post for the air filter :
http://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/p ... rt_id=9218
You can use the same backing plate and cover that you use for the linkert.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Hvilshoe, I put a CV on my pan last year. I used the press-on addaptor with a little J-B Weld. Chech the alighnment of the carb to make sure the linkage clears the front head before pressing the addaptor on tite. Like John said, 175 main and I used a 48 pilot. It seems to start well with this combination. For a filter set-up I used an early Screamin Eagle backing plate without the Micky Mouse ears and the K&N filter with a retro cover. The carb is supported with the typical S&S type strap from the middle case bolt to the bottom manifold/carb bolt. It does stick out more than I would like and hits my knee, but I have heard V-Twin makes a low profile backing plate that helps pull it in a bit. Mike
hvilshoej
Inactive member

Post by hvilshoej »

Panacea wrote:Hvilshoe, I put a CV on my pan last year. I used the press-on addaptor with a little J-B Weld. Chech the alighnment of the carb to make sure the linkage clears the front head before pressing the addaptor on tite. Like John said, 175 main and I used a 48 pilot. It seems to start well with this combination. For a filter set-up I used an early Screamin Eagle backing plate without the Micky Mouse ears and the K&N filter with a retro cover. The carb is supported with the typical S&S type strap from the middle case bolt to the bottom manifold/carb bolt. It does stick out more than I would like and hits my knee, but I have heard V-Twin makes a low profile backing plate that helps pull it in a bit. Mike
Thanks again everybody

Can anyone tell me what jets the carb have from stock. As mentioned it is a brand new take off carb from a late softtail.

Morten
john HD

Post by john HD »

morten

yes 175 main 27 pilot as i recall for a big twin, i think sportster carbs are slightly smaller on the pilot.

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I would make sure you don't have an intake leak , there's procedures in the knowledge base here for testing . I run a 195 main and I think a 48 pilot , all motors will be diff to a certian degree. Have you adjusted the Mallory per the instructions , if not , open the photos below.

I also use the Screaming Eagle backing plate and a K&N air filter and the carb has the two bolt hole flange adapter that's available on Ebay. I have photos of my set up in the Gallery in Technical photos .

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1477

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1476
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

john HD wrote:morten

yes 175 main 27 pilot as i recall for a big twin, i think sportster carbs are slightly smaller on the pilot.

john
Um...I think you meant 175 main and 45 pilot. 27 is an S&S number... :-)

-Kuda
'49 panchop (runnin' a 185 and a 48 myself...)
john HD

Post by john HD »

kuda

i think he was asking what was stock. the mains work pretty well as is it is, the pilot circuit is what needs to be richened a bit to make pans run nice.

dittos on the intake leak.

john

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”