broken throttle cable

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

broken throttle cable

Post by fourthgear »

I broke a throttle cable coming back from Daytona Friday and have never seen one quite like this , It is corroded right in the middle and is quite brittle , only at that point . Must of been a low point , I lube my cables regularly with a dry Teflon type of lubricant under pressure until i see it coming out the other end. I kinda wounder if down here in the salty air I should change to a oil based lube . I never had a problem up north when I lived up there with any of the hundreds of cables I worked on. Dead in the middle of the cable , the rest of the cable looks like new .Any one have one do this ?
Attachments
LH0237.JPG
LH0237.JPG (101.21 KiB) Viewed 923 times
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Broken Throttle Cable....

Post by captainharley »

4th gear,

I had the throttle cable on my Pan freeze up from rust (and lack of riding...) once. Took everything a part, cleaned up, relubed with
some stuff called "Dri-Slide". Which I believe is a graphite type of
lube used in gun repair among other uses. I also carry a spare inner
cable in my saddlebags. The inner cables I get from the local bicycle
shops which call them brake cables. :D

How was Daytona? Ya' see many Pans?

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

How I love my stock internal wire and Linkert. :wink:
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

ozwick,

I liked my stock internal wire and "DC Linkert" on my '66 Shovel many
years ago too. But on my '65 Pan I'm running a GBL "L" series S&S carb.
The frontend is a '75 S-Glide so I'm using the S-Glide throttle grip, but with a dead-man style of return. 8)

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I'm running a CV40 , so having just a center cable is out and ya I liked the solid wire until it stuck .They all have there pros and cons , this is the first one I have had a problem with since I started lubing them on a regular basis and that's been over twenty five years . I believe it has some thing to do with being a cheap (I think Motion Pro , but could be wrong ) cable and a low spot that kept water & contaminants in there to make the cable fail. I have a new HD cable on there now and a Barrnet on the way because the only one I could find in such short notice was even longer than the one I had on there . The ordered one is shorter than the one I started with , which was an experimental one for size any way.I'm lucky it broke only ten miles from home and the wife picked me up in the truck ( first time for that ).

Saw one other Pan , it was a 56 with a 65-69 gear cover on it and an S&S "E" carb and after he got fuel ,I only got to talk to him a little , we were leaving to go into town and he was still kicking when we left , I wanted to go back and see if I could help , but some people get bugged about that , so I kept going . We stoped for lunch at a place on the inner coastal and I had a crowd around my Pan when leaving and one guy had a 49 motor in a 58 frame he was building ( like mine ) answered a bunch of questions ,but again , all the Twinkies I was riding with were leaving and I had to go . I wanted to tell both of them about this sight ,but didn't have a chance , I'm going back this weekend to JP cycle to pick up a gear case cover gasket for the 65 and am going to make a few cards with this web sight address on them in case I come across others that this sight might help. Hope you don't mind Panhead.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”