Restrictor plate for a harley?

restrictor plate for a harley?

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panomania
Inactive member

Restrictor plate for a harley?

Post by panomania »

hey guys, ive been struggling with a airflow/jetting problem on a sporster chopper. 86 model 883, super-e carb. it had a 28 med and a 68 main jet. i took off the s&s air filter and put on a velocity stack and it wont run for*^%*! its ok untill im lugging the motor and then its like you cut off the switch under half throttle. ease up on the throttle and it restarts and runs ok. ive increased the main jet up to a 76 and it doesnt make a diff. ive gone back to a 70 main and 29 med. I think there is way to much air under heavy excell, and may be restricting the gas to enter the throat.??.? I was thinking of installing a plate between the carb and stack and drilling a few holes, ride and drill a few more untill it gets the air it wants. this sounds stupid but i really want this stack to work. i called s&s but they couldnt really advise. any ideas? has anyone had or seen this problem?thanks, pano
oh, sorry about the sporster question, i'll try and not make it a habbit. thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Restrictor plate for a harley?

Post by Cotten »

I know nothing about evos. I know less about sportsters.

But I do know that your symptoms resemble a manifold leak.
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

I dunno anything about the "new" stuff either, Pano. The only thing I might toss in as wild speculation would be to check the interior junction of the stack and the carb. If there is any unevenness it would really disrupt the airflow. I know in cars they usually use a silicone type gasket to insure a smooth transition, I can't imagine that it would be less important on a bike.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

It isn't one of those that catch the air like from Carl's Speed shop "Ram AIR Horn?? is it?? ??? Not good!!

That S&S E is a BIG carb for a 883 anyhow. Sounds like when you're lugging it [bad practice, HD motors don't like that] & you twist the wick you're drowning it w/fuel, or the stack is pressurizing the fuel bowl. Yours wouldn't be the first, for this problem...

What do your plugs look like??
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Pano, I guess you got your sporty carb fixed?? ???

I do work on the New Stuff, it pays the bills. :-X

The Ol' Iron is what puts a smile on my face!! ;)
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

hey billy, as i was in the middle of my troubleshooting and research and development, my magnets flew off my clutch hub and destroyed my stator. its back on the rack waiting on me to scratch up a few hundred to get her going again. you wouldnt happen to know a cheaper way to repair it would you? its an 86 model. the bastard rotor\stator combo. thanks, pano
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Pano, I was first thinking Big twin. But yours is behind the clutch- hub.. :-[

No Easy-out on that one, that I know of. Some Stator kits have "Lifetime Warranty" like Accel But you have to check to be sure!! Bummer !!
Wish I could be of more help!!
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

this rotor/clutch hub combo sucks! some hd engineer needs a punch in the stomach for this one. thanks anyways, pano
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Pano, agreed some designs need re-designed. >:(

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”