pressure testing linkert and manifold

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
shaker

pressure testing linkert and manifold

Post by shaker »

i have not put any pressure on this yet, anyone tested this way , without removing the carb. i will try to put up a link to a pic. will 15psi of back pressure hurt the linkert or inside parts or should i remove the card and just pressure test the manifold? shaker.
pressuretester2.jpg
pressuretester2.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I've never attempted it,
but I imagine the air blowing backwards through the main nozzle (and idle bleeds) will purge any contents of the bowl up and out the overflow (and LS needle), with foaming at the end, perhaps. So thereafter you will have to adjust your regulator accordingly.

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten
shaker

manifold

Post by shaker »

just got done with this, it did blow out a little gas through the overflow , i used soapy water on the carb, manifold seals and the gasket between carb and manifold , they all blue bubbles like crazy , so did the carb throttle shaft , so guess it will also have to have bushings . i thought i would find leaks , but not so many with only 15 psi. guess that's why it was hard to start and would not idle , i removed the manifold to send to cotten , the brass seals were wrapped with the red gasket maker. i cleaned off the goo and tryed 2 new brass seals they did not fit very tight at all so i'm not going to put it back on , cotten if you read this i am going to send you a e-mail for info on sending you the intake. shaker.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Shaker!

I would expect even perfect throttleshaft bushings to blow bubbles!

Your leak between carb and manifold requires that both be ground flat before reassembly.

Occasionally I test disassembled bodies on the bench for suspected casting porosities when a carb misbehaves for no apparent reason. Most often I find them upon the bowlstem within the bowl itself. And often they were previously solder-repaired from the factory.

Looking forward to it,

....Cotten

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”