Glass fuel filter

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Glass fuel filter

Post by chopped850 »

Was reading the thread about the cleaned pan motor and saw 2 of ya bash the glass fuel filter. Didn't want to hijack his thread so I'm wondering whats wrong with the glass fuel filters? I have been running the same on the bike came with 6 years ago. I think it was Richie that mentioned a vapor locking issue? Shed some light on this as I didn't see any thread topics about glass filters in the KB.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Re: Glass fuel filter

Post by Tattoo »

I also posted..... I don't run a filter on any older bike.... Just keep your tank clean and you will never have any problems..... Like he said a car has a fuel pump to push the fuel through. It's not gravity flow........ It's just a way to slow the gas down...
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

On the other hand, there are those that run a filter anyway, without any issues. It depends on the filter.

I think clearly there will be people on both sides of the fence. I'm on the no-filter side, but that's just me.

But lets not forget that there is a fuel strainer that attaches on the bottom of the Linkert carb, and it will catch the bigger chunks.
So running anything other the stock fuel delivery system leaves the system wide open, does it not?
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

I'm running the glass filter, too. I like to be able to see that there's actually fuel being delivered.
However, when I go on Reserve, it seems to take 20 seconds or so to get the Linkert fueled and the pan firing again. Bad news unless at highway speeds.
Just last week I dribbled to the side of the road and had to go down on the kickstand. Somewhat embarrassing. Good news was a van stopped immediately and offered help. Although I didn't need any, he showed me his panhead tattoo. Nice to meet another pan-fan.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Nothing wrong with a filter. I believe the problem with this filter was the location. It was between the cylinders where it catches a lot of heat. However when moved away from the heat source they do much better. Vapor lock can be a problem with a stock setup as well; that’s why some insulate the metal gas line where it goes between the cylinders.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I use a small plastic fuel filter from NAPA auto parts on several machines without any problems.
VPH-D
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

I believe there should definitely be a filer inline on every type of fuel system . Those of us with stock machines , have a internal filter if running a late peacock type tank , or as Bigincher pointed out , the fuel strainer with a linkert. The only reason to use an external type, would be if you had none to begin with. I don't think you need two, and I've seen a lot of people running an external filter with stock late model tanks with fuel strainers. I think that trended when they made the anodized aluminum filters In all those differnt colors.... Was that Russell?
Adam
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Post by panhandler »

I've had problems with the rubber gaskets not sealing properly and causing air in the line from the filter to the carb which was stalling the bike...over time the gas eats the rubber gasket. I just never had luck with them sealing properly....I replaced with a pingel inline and haven't had a problem since.

regards
Keith
thebeast
Bikes: 1949 FL
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

I run a Napa filter like VPH-D right beneath the stock shut off with rubber fuel line running down across the generator, behind the front tapped guide and up to the Bendix carb through an insulated sleeve. Never had a problem with the glass or plastic filter but seemed to have better flow when the filters where mounted vertical rather than horizontal.

James
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

About the GLASS FILTER--I have seen Alot of bikes run like crap if they ran at all!---Remember The best thing you can do is COVER your fuel line with another rubber line to insulate from heat & Vapor-loc.My Petcock has a screen in the tank!/Usually that plenty good.However I run an inline Metal filter As was described from NAPPA!--This thing is GREAT It lets fluid by without slowing the flow-rate!-Its the olny filter I run & do Recommend!.Glass has 2-problems & I have seen three!--There are the 2-rubber seals on each end to deal with so it wont leak!--The Brass Sponge filter-(I call it that)-is very HARD for LIQUID to flow thru.Now the 3rd. problem i saw is BEWARE when BUYING a (glass)-Filter.Its advertised as see-thru filter & looks just like a GLASS filter,But its Plastic & the fuel BUBBLES the walls outward because you have the ends on tite & thats the weak link,& they start to leak & you cant fix them!.The best ones are Metal about 9/16 in diameter There inline with an arow for flow.They are for 79 Ford Vans with 4.9 litre straight 6cyl.I have these on all the bikes I work on/Paint it black & it disapears into the rubber line.Also as was mentioned No filter is OK also!--But olny you can make that call!/After all nobody knows your tanks better then yourself.---Respectfully----RICHIE
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Post by Tattoo »

58flh wrote: Also as was mentioned No filter is OK also!--But olny you can make that call!/After all nobody knows your tanks better then yourself.---Respectfully----RICHIE

Yep............. Clean the tank and go riding.......
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Whenever I see a fuel tanker parked at a gas station filling the big underground tanks, I ride right on past that place...!
When the underground tanks are refilled, it stirs up the crud on the bottom and circulates in the fuel for awhile before it settles back down.
That is NOT the time to get gas from the station...!

But I know all you guys already know this............
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by chopped850 »

Great info fella's! I also tore the E all the way down and soaked the 3 main parts in the solvent tank at work the other night for a total of 16 hours with some agitation. Blew all the ports out with comp air and awaiting the master kit to get her back together. I have a pingle petcock with filter on it inside the tank. The inside is clean and I will get the napa filter and run it or not. Time will tell. :lol:
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

I've worked on more than one carb that needed a serious cleaning from getting crap in it.
Where does the crap come from? Sometimes it's a mystery :lol: .

A screen on the petcock or a screen at the carb like a Linkert will help keep those mysterious particles from reaching your carb.

Back about 10 or 12 years ago I had a glass bodied inline filter on a Shovelhead that looks very much like the one in the picture on. I ran that filter on the Shovel for a couple years, and I'm still using it, although it has been demoted and now serves duty on my little Cub tractor. It has a fine screen in it and it flows gas just fine. I did have to replace the rubber gaskets because they deteriorate from the "gas". On the Shovel, I replaced that filter with a small Pingel inline filter. You can't see through it, but it is a good design with what looks like a Viton (dark red) O-ring gasket and a replaceable (and cleanable!) bronze or brass filter element.

Geo.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I like them. No need to take anything apart should you need to. I had a plugged carb stop me on the road once. Tank filters>> PITA!
The resto guys want them original, I understand that too.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”