Carb bracket? to be or not to be.

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

Carb bracket? to be or not to be.

Post by el rojo »

Getting ready to do a leak down test after re installing my intake manafold on my 62. I didn't have a manafold/carb support bracket before and am wondering if it might look kinda wierd but it makes sense as it takes the stress off of the two O ring seals at the head due to the weight of the carb as well as the vibration. please chime in on A. bracket and B. if you think a bracket support is a MUST, then ideas on where to mount it on the block or what ever and what to use? Also, what should I expect for a good or normal compression and what is the lowest I should put up with?
Thanks
Rojo
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Re: Carb bracket? to be or not to be.

Post by Gotnoclass »

Loosen the o ring clamps so you can turn the manifold up and down freely.
The carb bracket is a must in my opinion. Attach it but leave it finger tight.
Make sure your bowl is tight on the carburetor.
Attach the carburetor with the phenolic spacer sandwiched between 2 of the gaskets (I'm assuming you have a linkert..) and attach the carburetor with all 4 screws to the manifold FINGER TIGHT, and the carb bowl nut LOOSLY.
Now would be a good time to check if the carb support bracket is square to the carb. You don't want to get any tension on the manifold - that's why the carb support bracket is there for.
If it's an aftermarket, most chances you will need to square it a bit. Once you have everything lined up FINGER TIGHT ONLY, clamp down a bit on the manifold clamps to secure in place - not too much, as the rest will be done at the bubble test.
This would also be a good time to secure the carb bracket to the engine case.
Remove the carburetor and do your bubble test. The manifold can't move, or you will need to do the whole thing again.
Secure the clamps until no bubbles. Recommend using a heat gun while testing.
Reattach carb finger tight, fasten to bracket, cross tighten the manifold bolts to no more than 8ft lb. any more than that will distort the carb.
Hope this helps.

Ran
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

All Panheads came stock with a carb support, it is a necessary part to keep things sealed. It originally bolted to the float bowl of the carb and the top center case bolt.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Post by Tattoo »

el rojo wrote: I didn't have a manafold/carb support bracket before and am wondering if it might look kinda wierd but it makes sense as it takes the stress off of the two O ring seals at the head due to the weight of the carb as well as the vibration.
Rojo

Yea I think they look weird too..... But if you don't run one and your going down the road, hit a bump and your carb falls off, Then you will know why you should run a brace.....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Elroho---All expert advise here!--You need the support to Leak-test the manifold.Becase Of you get your manifold to stop leaking while testing /Its going to leak as soon as you fiddle the carb. around.---Richie

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”