zenith / Bendix Carborator - 1960 Panhead

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chadu607
Bikes: 1960 Panhead Duo Glide

zenith / Bendix Carborator - 1960 Panhead

Post by chadu607 »

I reached a milestone in the rebuild of my dad's old harley. In a moment of clarity I finally got the timing set correctly and after a quick prime with starting fluid it started right up!
my next issue is the carb my dad put on this. I see gas in the clear gas filter but it's not flowing up into the carb.
the other issue is the cable guide for the throttle. the cable is tight. i re-ran the cable and now it's moving smoothly but i had to remove the guide. it's not the correct one and was bolted to the pan cover. does anyone know the correct part number for the cable guide and also how to route the throttle cable under the tank? in my case it runs inside the handlebar and out from behind the lamp.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: zenith / Bendix Carborator - 1960 Panhead

Post by 58flh »

CHAD----Make-sure you can fully turn the bars all the way & the cable dont bind anywhere!-Run it between the tanks using zippie-tie to hold & the Bendix should have a place where the cables black sheathing stops & allows about 3/8 or 1/2-inch of the inner metal to stick into.Then the wire itself will go into a round barrel that gets held with the pressure of a screw!.--Simple set-up!--Most important is not kinking the cable while the wheels fully-turned & I would use an X-TRA return spring-(you can hook it anywhere on that cable-shafts cam.Some have light springs for return & you dont want to stuck WFO!.As far as the glass filter//get rid of it!--I believe the fuel-line is for 1/4 or 5/16-inside diameter.run it from the petcock & make a nice downward then ,bend between the jugs & up to the feed nipple!--turn it on & your pumpshooter should spray fuel in 30-seconds once she fills-up!.If you really want a fuel filter -(use a metal style for auto!)--The filter in the tank is more then enuff for a bendix!.The glass ones you find will more often stop the flow then work properly!,& when they work you find yourself tightening the thing constantly!!!--Alot of these have been tossed in the last 4yrs. because the fuel eats the seals up!--All my bros. are running none or SMALL inline metal fuel-filters for cars!--I have a # but not here --the filter is the size of a nickel in dia. & about 1-3/4s long with 2/half-inch nipples on each side & an arrow for way of FLOW!.There $3 in autozone!--My last one I kept probably 10yrs. just blow it thru with compressor & your good!.Hope this helps----Respectfully---RICHIE
chadu607

Post by chadu607 »

hey Richie, great info thanks! My bendix is missing the correct able guide. I think I found the right one.. there are different versions of the bendix.. mine does not have the mounting holes for the cable guide I do have.. but there is another one. I"m going to stop at RetroCycle and see if they have what I need. this mail order crap sucks.. especially JP Cycles.. these guys at Retro Cycle seem to know their stuff too.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

YES I AGREE!--JP is HORRIBLE for parts--The olny goodies I think they sell are T-Shirts & do-dads!----JMHO---RICHIE
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

If you have the stock solid wire internal throttle, try p/n 27449-72. If you have an external later style throttle, then use p/n 27459-74.
VPH-D
chadu607

Post by chadu607 »

I did finally figure it out. I went to RetroCycle and talked to the guy there. he was very helpful and was able to provide me a used part that matched the patina on the bike. Turns out, my handle bars are from a sportster.. the throttle cable runs inside the bars.
These are the cable guides.
These are the cable guides.
20140811_183040.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
the one on the left (bottom) is the correct part. the one on the right (top) is what comes with the other bendix that has the mounting holes.

anyway I got it all hooked up and got it started again.. this time without any starting fluid and it ran until I shut it down!. a bit rough and idle's high but i'll get that straightened out eventually. scared the crap out of my mother inlaw too when it fired up.. that makes it all worth while!

now I just have to learn the fine art of tuning...

you are a big help Richie!.. hopefully we can meet up and ride one day when I get my wheels goin!

Chad
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The bottom bracket in your picture is the -74 part for an external throttle cable. However, if you can make it work for your application, good for you.
VPH-D

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”