Gas coming through gas cap after riding?

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hummbusa

Gas coming through gas cap after riding?

Post by Hummbusa »

OK so I have been working on getting my 50 Pan running right and I'm getting closer. The current issue is after riding all the gas would draw to the right tank (as your sitting on the bike) and come out the top of the gas cap. I ordered new caps thinking that would fix the problem but it don't seem to help. My current setup line set up is rubber crossover with a 90 degree petcock shutoff below left tank. Now for the weird stuff...when driving down the road it only draws from the right side tank and when its empty its out of gas BUT I can lean it to the right and the fuel goes from the left tank to the right tank like its filling up and off I go again? Also the right tank is much hotter than the left side after riding. I have checked for blockages and thought maybe the rubber line was vapor locking but it seems to be far enough away from any heat. The biggest brain drain is why it only is drawing from the right side...the shutoff is below the left side so all fuel has to run through it regardless but yet I can tilt it to the right and it flows over to the left tank? Thanks for ANY help.
PS. After 2 hours of letting the bike sit the right tank is still warm to the touch and the left is cool could that be related to this issue?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Gas coming through gas cap after riding?

Post by 58flh »

HUM!---You should have a crossover low & another under the dash & use vented caps!---Are they aftermaket & whos product is it!--I knoww cci--tanks have problems!---Also if they were Creamed make sure the crossover isnt buggered-up, If its vented it should drain from right to left no hassels!---Richie
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Post by panmarkski »

Are you using a vented cap on both tanks?
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

58flh wrote:HUM!---You should have a crossover low & another under the dash & use vented caps!---Are they aftermaket & whos product is it!--I knoww cci--tanks have problems!---Also if they were Creamed make sure the crossover isnt buggered-up, If its vented it should drain from right to left no hassels!---Richie
I'm assuming the are repop tanks because I only have a lower crossover nothing up top. I have both aftermarket and stock Eaton caps too.
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

panmarkski wrote:Are you using a vented cap on both tanks?
No the vented side is only on the right side tank. With both the new and old style caps
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Both caps need to be vented! If you have a non vented cap on the left it is a 45 oil tank cap, not a gas cap!
And what kind of shutoff/petcock is it?
Robbie
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

RUBONE wrote:Both caps need to be vented! If you have a non vented cap on the left it is a 45 oil tank cap, not a gas cap!
And what kind of shutoff/petcock is it?
Robbie
I think they are both gas caps..one has a taller "throat" than the other and thats how the tanks seem too.
The shutoff is a basic farm and tractor 45 degree on or off lever.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

There is no cross over vent at the top of the original tank. Only crossover is at the bottom of the tank.
BOTH caps need to be vented. Not only one.
Don't ask how I know....
Crack caps while riding. I think you will see a big change.
The only way you can use one vented cap is if you put in an upper cross over vent.
Dale
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

If the filler necks were made at different heights and use late style caps with no upper crossover to equalize the venting they will never work correctly. Apparently those are some poorly made aftermarket tanks.
Robbie
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

All the above posts are right on the money. If you want to check for yourself, swap caps (if they'll fit, which they may not if the tanks at that far off stock) and you'll see that it only draws from the left tank. BOTH caps need to be vented unless you plumb a crossover vent at the top of the tanks.

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

I'm away from the bike till Tuesday but I verified they are the stock 50 tanks. I have the stock caps too but the left side sure don't seem vented...I will check into it further. When I'm trying to describe the "throat" I'm meaning the depth of the inside section...both sets of caps have a taller and shorter side post. Thanks for the help everyone.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

As stated earlier, the "throat" as you call it is the same on both sides on original tanks! The caps interchange right to left! And if you don't have the original type fuel shut-off rod or the original provision for it they definitely are not stock.
Robbie

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”