Bendix Zenith carb rebuild kit

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
shovpan
Bikes: 1950 FL

Bendix Zenith carb rebuild kit

Post by shovpan »

Hi, I'm a newbie to this site so hopefully I posted in the right area. Looked at a few sites as I have rolled the ol' girl back out into the sunlight and kept coming back here...sorry guys but I registered and they let me in. :shock: Again sorry. I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for a 42mm Bendix. Measures 1.66@ on the manifold side.The numbers on it are "13732" and "27152-71 A". With what I've seen so far most of my questions are in the knowledge base area, just gotta root out the answers. I'll be having many questions, some of them stupid. This ol pan has been all but raped having survived the chopper era. Things are so cobbled together I'm not sure where to start other than here. My primary goal is to get it running then start sorting thru all the "custom" work that's been attempted. Thanks for your time Shovpan.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Re: Bendix Zenith carb rebuild kit

Post by nmaineron »

I doubt very much that you will find a factory Bendix rebuild kit.If it has a factory part number it would be for a 40mm which was used on the Big boys,JP Cycles offers a rebuild kit Part #401-087.Hope this helps.Ron
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

One of the problems you are most likely going to run into with the rebuild kits is the accelerator pump. The ones in the kits just don't fit right, at least none of the ones I found did. If you search the knowledge base there is some information on this subject that will guide you to the right spot.
shovpan

Post by shovpan »

Thanks guys. Can I assume the 40 and 42 mm carbs require different rebuild kits? So far I can't even find a listing for it. Gonna try the JP number but they said no go on the 42 last week. Shovpan.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The 27152-71A carb is from an early 70s Big Twin, and had a 38 mm bore. The accelerator pump problem can be avoided by using a kit that has the pink colored leather on the pump. These fit and work ok. I have one of these kits, it came from Custom Chrome.
VPH-D
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I would be real surprised if the kits were alot different.I'd be willing to bet all the gaskets and the accelerator pump parts are the same.
shovpan

Post by shovpan »

Got the rebuild kit with a pink pump and it was all good. Apparently they size the carbs by the smallest (venturi) diameter. Bike is now running but I have alot of valve train clatter which has been posted in another topic. To think that the local shops would only talk about selling me an SnS Super E...."it'll never run with that Bendix". It's running and sounds good, Again thanks.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”