Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Dave Beck
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 panhead
2011 streetglide

hydraulic rear brake pedall

Post by Dave Beck »

My old brake pedal had loads of slop so thought I would replace it. I found one (you guessed it e-bay) for a 59 - 69, I have a 62 FLH. The part is from custom chrome and the part number is 15911. I notice it was a little different than my old one, but thought I would give it a try, when placed on the bracket it makes the pedal stick nearly straight up. My old one was probably about an inch or two farther forward and down qite a bit. What do I need and where do I find it???

Thanks in advance,
Dave
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: hydraulic rear brake pedall

Post by neilw »

I found the same thing last year when working on my 59 pan.. I had 2 basket cases ,one a 1961 the other a 1959. The brake levers were different . Have you solved the problem ? I'm not sure which one I used as I'm just now getting back to working on the bike after 9 months or so away.
Neil
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

70 to 84 FL's have a brake pedal that sticks just about straight up depending how the stop is adjusted. It has no bends in it. Is it possible that this is in fact what you have? 58 to 69 have multiple bends in them with 58 to early 59 being somewhat different than the late 59 to 69 pieces. Being that you are working with an aftermarket piece, it is possible that the pedal stop (on the bake pedal) is not clocked the same as a factory piece? 58 to 69 are non abjustable as the pedal stop is built into the backing plate, whereas 70 and later have a somewhat adjustable pedal stop which is a seperate piece that pivots to a small degree....bosheff
Dave Beck
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 panhead
2011 streetglide

Post by Dave Beck »

I took care of the problem, by drilling and tapping the stop and using a 1/4" bolt to adjust the stop to where the pedal seems about the right position, I also shortened the rod to the master cylinder. Everything seems to be ok at this point.

Thanks for the help guys.
Dave
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Makes you wonder why HD bushed the shift pedal but not the brake pedal. Seems like the brake would get the most wear.

Return to “Brakes”