Trying to make right side drum work with star hub wheel

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
49flchop
Inactive member

Trying to make right side drum work with star hub wheel

Post by 49flchop »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I usually hang out on Hawg's forum on Delphi forums. I thought you guys would be helpful in this situation. Thanks in advance.

I have a 49 FL that is a bit of a chop.

I want to run a front brake now after a close call last summer I want to change that.

My 49 Pan has fork lowers that support the right side drum.

My wheel is a 21" laced rim on a star hub(no front brake).

I have the star hub style axle and axle sleeve.

I have a right side drum assembly which is setup for mid star hub obviously.

Mid star and star don't play nice regarding the fit of the hub/drum and the axle sleeve doesn't fit nice between the drum and drum cover. Plus, the mid star doesn't slide all the way onto the star axle(extra step).

If I buy at star hub style drum, with this all work together?

This is what the assembly would consist of:

1.)Right side drum fork lowers
2.)Right side drum cover and show assembly
2.)Star hub wheel
3.)Star hub axle and sleeve
5.)Star hub drum

I own a mid star hub but don't want mess with lacing up a new wheel and buying a midstar axle and sleeve.

Thanks guys.
Jim
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Trying to make right side drum work with star hub wheel

Post by RUBONE »

You can do it by changing the drum, or you can modify the drum you have. Swapping would be easier. You also need to pull the dust cover/sleeve off the center of the mid star backing plate so the hub clears. To modify the drum you need to machine the center out of it so it fits over the star hub. I would call that the last resort. Be sure to carefully set up your brake shoes and adjustments. you might look into performance linings as well. A stock Hydra-Glide is poor at best. You know it is working when you accelerate after engaging it!
Robbie
49flchop
Inactive member

Post by 49flchop »

Thanks a lot. I keep getting warned about those brakes. I'm still considering switching it to a banana disc front brake so it's still 'kind of' old school and unique.

It has banana rear brakes which I hate the looks of, it hides the beauty of the the clean right side of a stock setup. I'm doing that project for sure this winter. Since my rear brakes will start to suck, I thought two drum brakes will be better than one disc. Maybe I should consider 1 rear drum and 1 front disc.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Despite their shortcomings, the drum can be made to work as well as a Banana front, they truly suck!
Robbie

Return to “Brakes”