Bikes: 1960 fl
1964 flh
1976 flh

duo glide rear drum

Post by bruak »

Hi ,
what is the difference between a 58-62 drum
and a 63-66 drum .
My drum is aprox 2.125 deep and the only numbers I can see is a 3 stamped in the outside face . I have all 63- 72 bendix plate shoes etc but they seem not go all the way into the drum , or the drum doest sit all the way down on the shoes and plate ,with or without axle sleeve . what is the depth of a 58-62 drum at the outer edge and a 63-66 ?
Thanks
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: duo glide rear drum

Post by 59Panman »

Here is a post from Sir_Rat,

bruak,

Posted by Sir_rat,

'58-'62 brake shoes should be 1 5/16" wide......drum should be 1 7/8" deep and the backing plate should be 8 1/8" wide.

'63-'72 brake shoes should be 1 13/16" wide....drum should be 2 1/8" deep and the backing plate should be 8 5/8" wide.

This is straight from Palmer book I hope it helps you ID what u got. He doesn't get into the wheel cylinders themselves and it could be they are interchangeable...........Good Luck!

Aloha ...Mike
bruak
1964 flh
1976 flh

Post by bruak »

Thanks Mike :
I measured it all out and its a 63 drum , seem its the linings on the shoes themselves , they are not riveted on , but the holes in the shoes are there , no holes in the linings and they have been glued on with something also linings are way to thick .
everything is retracted , r&r wheel cylinder . The lining is between 5/16 and 3/8 thick .
Best to get another pair of shoes ,that are riveted on .

Bruce
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

The spacers are also different behind the brake plate. I believe the axle sleeves are also different. When I first got my bike I had a mix of 58 & 63 parts on the rear. You might need to check those items.
Doug
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Duoglide58 is correct in that the proper spacers need to be used as well as the proper axle sleeve. There is nothing wrong with bonded shoes and in practice they can be even better than riveted. For one think they don't score drums once the rivet heads are exposed! All modern automotive practice uses bonded lining, both shoes and pads.
Are the shoes beveled on the leading edges and have they been arced to the drum? Those are two important factors in making them work. How about some pics of the parts in question?
Robbie
bruak
1964 flh
1976 flh

Post by bruak »

Here is the backing plate and shoes , notice the lip at the lining bottom , I see that it was all assembled with the wrong axle sleeve , I think that spacer is 58-62 .The brake drum , I will pull it ad take a pic but its 2.125 deep

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

If I remember correctly ,the wheel cylinders can not be swaped . the later mod. one is larger & won't fit in the early mod. backing plate, as the early mod. wheel cylinder is too small for the late mod., but its been a long time since I went through all that.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I believe you are correct on the wheel cylinders. I think I tried to run the bigger brakes on my '58 but without the rear axle spacers, backing plate and axle sleeve, the brake shoes developed cracks. Alignment was a problem due to the back plate and the spacers being incorrect and hitting the swingarm. I forget, I may have tried all the laarger brake equipment but had clearance issues on the swingarm. Anyway, I went back to the 58 setup.
Doug

Return to “Brakes”