Master cylinder bleed

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Scrimhorse

Master cylinder bleed

Post by Scrimhorse »

Hi it has been a while.
Restoration of 1965 Electra Glide is going well.At the moment i am having trouble bleeding the master cylinder after fitting new repair kit.I have tried two repair kits but got the same result.it will not pump fluid.Can any one help??????.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Master cylinder bleed

Post by NightShift »

Dear Scrimhorse,
Did your kit have a little check valve that looks like a little aluminum hard hat in it? Kits for late models dont.
If it did and its a good one maybe, then sometimes getting the bubbles out is easiest with a pumper oil can with a tube to push fluid in from the wheel backwards until the bubbles come out the front.
BRAKPUMP.jpg
Whatever works,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Sometimes you can just bungy cord the pedal in the depressed position overnight and it will bleed the bubbles out also. Not sure how well this will work with the rear cylinder but I have done a few of the handle bar mounted brake cylinders this way with good results.
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

rig up a piece of old brake line.fill the resevoir and bleed the master cylinder into a container with brake fluid in it, making sure the end of the brake line is in the jar with the brake fluid and into the fluid. this forces fluid into the master cylinder when you release after depressing to bleed.do the pump, release cycle enough times that bubbles stop coming out of the brake line . this method has always worked for me on both disk and drum brakes.
arnulfo
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Horse,

I've found that over the years of use on those old master cylinders, that they get "egg" shaped from wear. No matter how many rebuild kits you install, the brake fluid still bleeds around the piston cup. I have about 2 dozen of them that won't pump up or bleed. I'd look for a "nos" or remake and call it a day. The chrome cover will hide it anyway.

Best of luck, Tony.
Scrimhorse

Post by Scrimhorse »

Thanks All.
I have taken all your information on board and will try it all untill something works.
Will keep you posted. Meanwhile back at the Ranch,looking forward to our Bikes & Barges custom bike show 4th July V Twin/Harley,it is our second year. It takes place in one of our small seaside towns in the county of Essex, Maldon in fact,the Mayor will be there again & i hope will enjoy himself. It is in a good cause for local charity.Check us out. Not sure if i can post our web site so i wont. We are not selling anything, just a bunch of guys & gals having a good time.
Regards Scrimhorse.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Scrimhorse,
We in the USA are very honored that you would observe our Independence holiday,

Time heals all huh!

Return to “Brakes”