Rear disk brake problem

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Rear disk brake problem

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

I'm running a Hawg-halter inc. rear disk 4-piston caliper which calls for a 5/8 mastercyl. I check my master cyl. on the set of forward controls I have and it's 3/4. can anybody tell me if the larger master. will cause the pad's to slowly tighten up each time I hit the brakes to the point of locking up? Thank's, Ed
sleeper

Re: Rear disk brake problem

Post by sleeper »

That's a touchy one. Perhaps a call to the caliper maker. You know what the're likely to say......."You need Our"...
A master cylinder pushes when brake is applied & releases when brake is released.
I could see it needing 5/8" bore Master as a minuim for "Quad Pucks" But some fancy aftermarket stuff..
I don't know, to say for sure. ??? Sorry Ed
This might explain why your thread has been unanswered in Limbo till now!! Even though you still have NO answer!!
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Yea, Billy I got to thinking maybe the brake ? was a little touchy. Here's what my son came up with, He thinks that the exhaust maybe heating the caliper causing the dot 3 to expand and build pressure. I went ahead and ordered a 5/8 bore mastercyl., new puck's,and some dot 5 fluid. I cant really do much about the exhaust. I have called the maker, no answer yet. You don't have to apologize to me. I pay atten. to your post''s!!
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Don't know about the brakes locking up. (Certain there is no air in the system?) I do know one thing, make sure ALL the DOT 3 is out of the system before you add DOT 5. When the two mix, they turn to jelly. Don't ask how I know. The only way I know to get all the DOT 3 out is to completely dismantle the entire brake system and rinse everything with alcohol. That sure is a lot of work. I'd try everything else first. On some of the Jap bikes, you bleed them backwards with a vacum pump. There is usually a fitting that comes with the pump to cover the tiny hole at the bottom of the reservior. When I really have a problem getting all the air out with the vacuum pump and I'm certain all the fittings are tight, I've discovered that air is leaking past the threads on the bleeder nipple. A couple of wraps of teflon tape solves the problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Fast Ed, Which bike is yours in the Picture gallery.
I'd like to take a look at "Baby Doll" [I think that's her name] & maybe see what pipes you are running & I read, you also did an Air ride seat!! Very Cool, & Creative. With the PVC. That's what it's ALL about. Anyone can thumb thru the catalog & order the latest do-dad. I like creating also!! ;D
I try to pay attention too. I read your posts.
Very Good info!! Might have to give your bike a vote as well. From what I've read. It sounds NICE...

57stroker, I don't have a clue about a Rice Burner.
But switching to Dot 5 is an excellent upgrade.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

57stroker,Thank's for the imput, I cleaned the system put on a new 5/8 mastercyl. new pad's and I pressure bled the system from the caliper forward to the master. Rode it to work today and didnt have any problem's! I dont liketo make wholesale change's like that but I had to get back on the road. Thank's, Ed

Billy, My (Baby Doll ) is the 53 is the one on page 2 with the girder front end. I appreciate the look tell me what you think. You can't see the air ride but it's there,I recessed the oil tank abouy 3/4" to hide the frame work that the air pod's set in, Had to drop the air tank idea because of space. I went down to the local bike shop and bought a cheap mini hand pump and about 6 or 7 pump's I'm riding up about 2" above the frame on air!! When I get to where I'm going I let the air out and the seat set's on the frame. I,ve got to get the boy out and get some shot's with the seat up. Thank's, Ed
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Fast Ed, I found it. I believe, got a foot shift & a clean front spool [no front brake] looks black/blue flames on tank. Dual fishtails ending at the rotor...
Nice 53. I like it !! I added a comment on it. & already voted on it, Previously!! My Flatty motor is on the workbench in the pics. & my White Servi-Car is in there also. In 'Most viewed' on page 1..
Plus a 30"over springer, w/S&S Pan we just finished several months ago. ;D
Back "on topic" I can see how your pipes would "HEAT UP" your caliper & rotor. You know if you wanted to you could add 6" to each pipe ending with the fishtails & eliminate the Heat. And wouldn't even be noticed .If you chose to. Just a thought!! Nice '53 Ed!!!
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Billy, thank's for the comment's. I've looked your servi- car and the 30 over springer several times, Very cool!! I've got a buddy who has a old servi. like your's he loves to get it out when it snow's and and cut donut's. The pipe's are a set of Paugho short shot guns with a set of fish tails slipped on. I'm not sure I'm happy with the look or function of this setup. I believe I can add a set of upswept extensions with some tails maybe. Still looking at other bike's to get some idea's.Thank's, Ed
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Ed, Upswept w/tails would be Wicked on your 53!!! & sound awesome shooting the Exhaust Music at the sky!!! ;D
My Servi is 1 of only 425 made the last year. End of an Era... Kinda rare.. I dig it.. All documented by HD in Milwaukee....Left throttle & right hand shift.
I'm Tweaking UP the motor right now. Trans I finished a month ago.. That's my Parts chaser... ;D Since we get no snow, I get a kick out of making a bend on 2 wheels. Blows some people's minds..

Return to “Brakes”