Brakes sticking

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
xnoahx

Brakes sticking

Post by xnoahx »

I'm having an issue with my rear brake. I took a 30 minute ride last night on the freeway, consistent 65 mph, and when I got off the freeway I noticed my brake pedal was very stiff and my rear brake was slightly applied. These are the stock style hydraulic drum brakes. About a year ago I replaced the shoes, wheel cylinder and master cylinder. When I got back on the bike several hours later the brake had loosened up and was back to normal but it was stiff again one I got home. Any Ideas on what could cause this? I wasnt doing any braking on the ride there or back except from when I got off the freeway.
panache

Re: Brakes sticking

Post by panache »

Here's a guess -- you might have a wee bit of brake drag. After a bit of riding, either the shoes expand a bit from the heating or some moisture in your brake fluid vaporizes from the heating and locks up your brakes. The heating might also be caused from rear axle bolts being too tight overheating your wheel bearings. I'd check the rear wheel bearings for correct side play (just lifting the rear wheel and pushing/pulling sideways), re-adjust the rear drums and change the brake fluid. I'm sure others on this board will have other suggestions -- like checks for the brake backing plate or master cylinder plunger settings... Hope this helps.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

xnohax, Make sure you have some free-play at the master cyl. pushrod and that the piston is returning completely. There might also be a problem with the residual pressure valve in the bottom of the bore and pressure is building up from the heat , holding the brake on.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I've been switching older bikes to "Dot 5" brake fluid. it's synthetic & ya just don't have the headaches from condensation & rust as w/Dot 3
However it does require a extremely thorough clean out of ALL existing parts & hoses..FWIW
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

What is the best way to go about switching to dot 5 fluid? Could I run a mild solvent through the brake system or should I just drain the old stuff and start running the dot 5 through it?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Something I have seen in the past also is a bad brake hose. The inside can start to scale so presuure to the wheel cylinder can be applied, but the scaling acts as a check valve when fluid tries to return to the master cylinder. FWIW.
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

I should probably replace that brake hose anyhow. Its looking pretty crappy on the outside
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

xnoahx-

I use de-natured alcohol for cleaning & then rebuild the clys & masters... (+ new hoses never hurt either...)
Works fer me...
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

If you get water mixed in with your brake fluid it can cause exactly the symptoms you are describing. As you ride and use the brakes the water in the line expands from the heat and applies the brake. When you stop and it cools off, the water contracts and the brake frees up.
I'd recommend purging the brake lines with the correct brake fluid.

-Craig
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Thanks for all the replies, I think im going to purge the lines with DOT 3 and see how that goes, I will probably also replace the rear hose and if that doesnt help me out I will try DOT5
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Dot 3 seems to create moisture.. For this reason it is a good practice to *flush* the system perhaps yearly depending on the machine's use, or lack there of.. ..
I do the Dot 5 flushes every 5 yrs !!! ;D
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

dot 3 absorbs moisture from the air, so every time you open anything up you get more water in there. that is why you are suppose to use only a new, unopened can to refill. not that i do that but i do change it out once a year. it was my understanding that dot 4-5 have higher boiling temps so are used in the newer machines like superbikes in races where you have to use the brakes much more than pans. i've had my brakes fail due to watery, dirty fluid and it is not a good feeling. j

Return to “Brakes”