Better brake friction material

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panache

Better brake friction material

Post by panache »

Hello all -- got a '64 FLH which is restored stock... By riding it around, I've since found that the stock front brakes take a MIGHTY grip to work only so-so, and in a panic stop it's the distinct lack of stopping which causes the panic. This is with everything checked carefully (shoes arc'd to the drum) and with new Barnett cables. The rears work OK -- maybe even too well. Are there shoes available which have a better friction material on them? Or, is there a better friction material available to rivet onto the shoes? I know from past experience that bi-metallic friction material has stopped much better, but is something like that available for old pans?

Thanks!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Better brake friction material

Post by Panacea »

Check out this site, Vintage Brake.com He's got my 51 drum brake doing a modern type friction material, arcing and removing the chrome on the inside of the drum. I'm hoping for a much improved brake.LOL MW
panache

Post by panache »

Panacea,

the drum brake shoe lining materials that Vintage Brake installs looks like the hot ticket... When someone says that they can bark the front tire at 30MPH on a '47 HD, that's the kind of brake performance I'm looking for. Definitely let us know how your drum brake turns out! I'm going out to the garage to start taking apart the front end of my '64 to get to the brake drum and shoes.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I wish I had it back so I could verify the quality. Hoping for the best..MW

Return to “Brakes”