Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Blue SOG
Bikes: 2012 Ultra Limited
1990 Softail
1958 FL

1963-1966 brake drum and assembly

Post by Blue SOG »

Hey all, I've got a 58 FL that someone put a horrible looking banana caliper on and I'd like to go back to a hyd drum. I'm using a star hub and want the wider drum so I'll use 63-66 drum and axel parts along with the 63-72 brake plate assembly. My problem is that this stuff is getting hard to find in good shape and when it does show up, it's $$$$... so, while OEM is best, is aftermarket all that bad? Other than the shoes themselves, is Ted's stuff ok to use without any problems (drum, back plate and axel)? Thanks for your insight!
VT

Re: 63-66 brake drum and assembly

Post by VT »

imo, you should stay with the '58-62 parts. They stop a 74"machine just fine. If you going to buy brake parts, buy them from Kick-Start, because you'll be able to talk to someone that actually knows what a Panhead is. V-Twin send me oversize linings attached to shoes for my rear rigid frame Pan. Burned me once on that. I won't buy brake shoes from them anymore, since it's a pain in the butt to send the shoes back. I think all of V-Twins shoes have oversize linings. The drums are good, but Kick-Start (616) 245-8991 has the same parts, and they won't sell anything that doesn't fit.
Blue SOG
1990 Softail
1958 FL

Post by Blue SOG »

Is there an advantage to running the 58-62 over the 63-66? Can I ask why you prefer the earlier brake?
VT

Post by VT »

If you have a stock '58, you might want to keep the original designed parts for it. If you go up to the next set of year group you'll have to get the axle, spacers, etc. to gain a slight brake width. If you ever sell the machine, it will have more value re-built as originally designed. The '58-62 had it's own special backing plate. They make all the parts for it now.
It's just my opinion, keep it stock, keep it simple.
Blue SOG
1990 Softail
1958 FL

Post by Blue SOG »

Thanks, VT. I spoke with Kick-Start... really nice guy. He deals mainly with earlier stuff. My bike is a little too new for him but he helped me out. We're thinking along the same lines. As the bike is nowhere near original and most likely never will be, I'll go with the later hydralic drum setup. I have to buy it all anyway... thanks for your help.
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

I was sitting on the fence about switching to the 63 brake ; then when it was deetermined my early 58 stamped steel drum was a little cupped I moved ahead on the bigger brake set-up. More than a couple pieces can be used from the older brake , i.e. spacer,[all but one ], axel ,if it is shouldered to fit in the long spacer,nuts,locking tab. I found a backing plate [in the process of cleaning it up;rebuild cylinder etc. the drum i went with an older cci [chromed] maybe it can be painted.Bill's in bloomsburg had nos shoes and pads for 30. didn;t seem too bad , hope for no issues w.cci drum. One point to consider my early -58 swing-arm would need to be notched along the two horizontal ribs inside the left side plate. I fIortunately picked -up another swing-arm also -58 but this appears factory notched. I will attempt the picture thing.

Return to “Brakes”