Springer disk Front brake

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
MS-Geek
Bikes: 1948 Panhead

Springer disk Front brake

Post by MS-Geek »

Hey all,

Just looking for someopinions, I was looking for a front brake, was hoping to get a PM setup but their so damn expensive. I can probably afford the two piston springer setup but should I be concerned about not enough stopping power? I don't tear up the road like I used to but would like to stop once in a while.

My other choice was a DNA 4 piston one.

any other recommendations?

thanks,

Geek
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Springer disk Front brake

Post by 1950Panhead »

Any disc will have LOTS more braking ability then original drum.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Geek,
What kind of springer are you using? Keep in mind that original H-D springers are of questionable strength when using some of the high performance disc set-ups out there. Note that even stock H-D disc set-ups on late factory springers are rather anemic. A disc brake that could allow you to do a "stoppie" also has the potential to cause a "bendy"! :shock:
Robbie
MS-Geek

Post by MS-Geek »

Robbie,

It appears to be an OEM springer, or an early repro. I can't find markings other than a single digit in different places. I'll keep in mind the bendie issue, but if it's a choice of bent front end or guest in someones back seat....

Thanks
Geek
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

In that case I would consider a single disc of moderate size. Something about the equivalent of a mid size Japanese cruiser uses. Or a Sportster. A modern brake of any kind will dramatically change the stopping ability. In the '70s I put entire dual disc Honda front ends on my strokers for the braking power. H-D didn't offer anything even close in power.
Regretfully there is no fix for the other part of the equation, the distracted fools who we are forced to share the road with! :roll:
Robbie
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I run a stock H-D caliper from the rear of an 83 FX. Use the matching rotor with a stock -73 flanged hub and yer stylin. You will need a custom axle as the later axle is 3/4" if memory serves me correctly. Use a stock front master cylinder from the 70's and yer set. Use the corresponding caliper mounting bracket which will need to be machined to less than the factory 1" width, and go with a stock or steel braided brake line. This set-up will stop ya on a dime and give ya change. If you decide to go this route I have the axle to do it with, which will make the whole thing a bunch easier. Of course you will need to fab yer own spacers which ain't about shit....bosheff
MS-Geek

Post by MS-Geek »

Thanks Bosheff, I have a newer aftermarket front rim which uses 3/4 axle, I was just looking at Paugcho's site for an axle that fits so I don't have to cut one. The rockers on the springer have 5/8 on one side and 3/4 on the other where the brake sleeve fit. Is that what you were talking about that you have? Not worried about spacers, I have some laying around and have a buddy that make them for me.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Yup. Made a spare when I did the conversion years ago....bosheff
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Still missing the difficult part.
The caliper bracket cannot be bolted or attached rigidly between anything, it must pivot on the axle freely with minimal end-play.
If the original shackle stud is still on the springer leg, it may be useful as a mount for your new shackle, which attaches to the leg at one end and secured to the top (or near top) of the caliper to stop its rotation. Best practice is to make the shackle a straight line forward from the leg to the caliper, and use bushings at both ends for smooth rotation with no misalignment (no, not 2 Heim joints). A factory shackle (there are many varieties, see Palmer) may be a useful donor so you only need to modify one end (and perhaps the length).
It's not a bolt-on, it's an engineering problem.
Sound like too much work? Unless you're buying a brake kit specifically designed for a springer, you need to do this for any disc or drum.
Last edited by kitabel on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MS-Geek

Post by MS-Geek »

Thanks Kitabel, so far nothing has been bolt on for this bike, funny how you find all sorts of "modifications" as you get into it, some are obvious but some make you wonder if it was done in the 50's or the eighties.

Bosheff, I sent you a PM about that Axle you have.
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

This setup, made entirely from scrap, will squeal the tire even with a fat passenger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

I have this:

Bracket is made by Fabricator Keven of Detroit. Caliper is Tokeko(yamaha, kawasaki, etc.)
Axle is Paughco, wheel is early 80s softail, spacers made by me
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

kitabel wrote:Still missing the difficult part.
The caliper bracket cannot be bolted or attached rigidly between anything, it must pivot on the axle freely with minimal end-play.
If the original shackle stud is still on the springer leg, it may be useful as a mount for your new shackle, which attaches to the leg at one end and secured to the top (or near top) of the caliper to stop its rotation. Best practice is to make the shackle a straight line forward from the leg to the caliper, and use bushings at both ends for smooth rotation with no misalignment (no, not 2 Heim joints). A factory shackle (there are many varieties, see Palmer) may be a useful donor so you only need to modify one end (and perhaps the length).
It's not a bolt-on, it's an engineering problem.
Sound like too much work? Unless you're buying a brake kit specifically designed for a springer, you need to do this for any disc or drum.
Why the warning about heim joints? I thought the shackle was in tension as it resists the rotation of the wheel. Is it in compression from the load moving forward? I put a single PM caliper on a Paughco springer, "spring washer" on the axle next to the bracket. I made a shackle with two heim joints, I'm very close to putting it on the road, I wont hesitate to change to bushings but I'm not an engineer and I don't understand the forces involved.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

If you look at a late model HD springer, they still run a single piston caliper, dur to the geometry of a springer and the action of the lower rockers......too much brake, you will go down. Go with a single piston set up if you can. It works just fine with a springer, Adam
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

A single piston calipr will stop just fine!--We put a similar set-up on a shovel, sportster caliper single piston ,It works BEAUITIFUL!--Im considering on doing this to mine, just because susie is texting her boyfriend!--& my drums that I like so much just dont respond to a quick stop as well as a disc.---Richie

Return to “Brakes”