Rocker Arm Cover Felt

CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Rocker Arm Cover Felt

Post by CaptMike »

Somebody help me out...

My only guess for the RACF (Rocker Arm Cover) is for noise? Or what is it for? What to glue them in with? (Old yellow 3m Snot?)
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: Rocker Arm Cover Felt

Post by panhead_kicker »

CaptMike wrote:Somebody help me out...

My only guess for the RACF (Rocker Arm Cover) is for noise? Or what is it for? What to glue them in with? (Old yellow 3m Snot?)
Past threads indicate the felt Drips oil on the rockers for lube. I use the snot to attach them. 3m weather strip adhesive (yellow or black)
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Being a musician and an acoustics person, I can't help but believe that they do in fact aid in dampening noise somewhat, even if the original intent was not for that purpose. As far as oiling the rockers, looking at it logicly, the angle of the covers would indicate that any oil would fall towards the slope and not be an effective source of lube for the mechanics directly below.. IMO of course.
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

jdpan wrote:Being a musician and an acoustics person, I can't help but believe that they do in fact aid in dampening noise somewhat, even if the original intent was not for that purpose. As far as oiling the rockers, looking at it logicly, the angle of the covers would indicate that any oil would fall towards the slope and not be an effective source of lube for the mechanics directly below.. IMO of course.
I'm with you. "Logic". Maybe the Holes caused some of the oil to drip straight down. Between years of abuse what my ears do most (and best) is Ring. I've been playing guitar for 44 years now. I think guns did more damage.

(I hate to say this is one that I didn't Search. I figured with 4 Damn words I'd get everything from Felt Boobs to Felt Butts.)

Return to “Cylinderheads”