Leaking Rocker Covers

King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Leaking Rocker Covers

Post by King »

Hi All

I knew I shouldn't have used them but I had a set of thick cardboard gaskets for the Pan covers so on they went. Of course they leak like a sieve. I had plastic compound gaskets on my STD heads that stayed sealed for over 10 years so I want to go in that direction. Anybody have a good type and brand they can recommend???

King
Aphelion
Inactive member
Bikes: 1960 FLH

Re: Leaking Rocker Covers

Post by Aphelion »

I run James rubber rocker gaskets and a thin bead of Black high temp sealant on both sides. Havent lost a single drop of oil.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

King!

Thick gaskets allow the flange of the cover to distort at the fasteners. You should inspect them by scrubbing them on a flat sheet of emery.

....Cotten
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

King, I used the accurate engineering gaskets, they are expensive but they don't leak, ever...Mike http://www.accurate-engineering.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

King,

+1 to both Panacea and Cotton. I lapped my rocker cover flanges until they were perfectly flat. I use Accurate Engineering gaskets and I've had them on and off several times (because of other issues) and they work everytime. This "reusability" pays off. Not to mention the satisfaction of no leaks.
shooter15
Bikes: 1947 Knuckle w/sidehack
2005 Springer Classic
1946 Flathead "U"
1936 Knuckle EL

Post by shooter15 »

King wrote:Hi All

I knew I shouldn’t have used them but I had a set of thick cardboard gaskets for the Pan covers so on they went. Of course they leak like a sieve. I had plastic compound gaskets on my STD heads that stayed sealed for over 10 years so I want to go in that direction. Anybody have a good type and brand they can recommend???

King
"ACCURATE ENGINEERING"......wouldn't even consider anything else...used 'em on a buddys' '65 and he has 18,000 miles on it and the covers are bone dry all the way around....how you gonna' beat that ?........................................"SHOOTER"
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

man! i keep reading all these great reviews about accurate engineering rocker cover gaskets! i put some on my 65 and still got leaks. i followed the instructions to the letter. could it be because the covers are chromed? i tried getting them flat by sanding on a flat surface . i think i got them close but not perfectly flat. maybe thats my problem. i will say the leaks are not nearly as bad as they used to be when i used cork or the cardboard gaskets.
arnulfo
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Close is only good with hand grenades and square dancing!
socalrider

Post by socalrider »

and horseshoes 8)
shooter15
Bikes: 1947 Knuckle w/sidehack
2005 Springer Classic
1946 Flathead "U"
1936 Knuckle EL

Post by shooter15 »

socalrider wrote:man! i keep reading all these great reviews about accurate engineering rocker cover gaskets! i put some on my 65 and still got leaks. i followed the instructions to the letter. could it be because the covers are chromed? i tried getting them flat by sanding on a flat surface . i think i got them close but not perfectly flat. maybe thats my problem. i will say the leaks are not nearly as bad as they used to be when i used cork or the cardboard gaskets.
arnulfo
Have you got any "gouges" or deep scratches caused by scraping old gaskets from the heads ?.....did you follow the torque sequence as well as the correct torque settings,they sound VERY light but they MUST NOT be exceeded or the gaskets will not seal properly due to distortion....I've used these gaskets on 5 sets of heads so far and every one of them are sealed with ZERO leakage,even at the rear of the rear head and the left front of the front head which are the most prone areas for leakage................."SHOOTER"
socalrider

Post by socalrider »

Shooter,
No deep gouges or scratches on the heads. Followed the torque instructions as well as using locktite.you are right the torque spec did seem light but stuck with it. Will retry again when winter arrives. Its summer and other than the leaks, she is running great!
Arnulfo

Return to “Cylinderheads”