bad 1963 rear head.

musicnbikes
Bikes: No bikes, at the moment.

bad 1963 rear head.

Post by musicnbikes »

Hello, I just found out my rear head is bad. cracks, looks like it may have been repaired before. Can I use any rear head with the same part number 16701-56, or does anyone know if they are made after market? Thanks! Im bummed out.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: bad 1963 rear head.

Post by Cotten »

Musicnbikes!

Although all heads after '56 had a -56 number cast into them, '63s were produced with "outside oiler" heads, which are quite dear and sought after.

Please post us photos of your head's cracks, as often some of them, (but by no means all) are of little consequence.

...Cotten
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

the cracks go between the center of the spark plug, to each valve and a hairline crack between the 2 valves starting a triangle. I will try to post a picture.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Musicnbikes!

As long as hardened seats have not been pressed in, there is still hope!

(Please use your "macro" mode on your camera, which is usually displayed as a little flower when it is activated.)

Looking forward to helping any way we all possibly can,

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

"Head hog" can repair the heads (he's in Ohio ). My 65's had cracks from the spark plugs to the valve seat also & they came back like brand new.
He also (if you have org. seats ) will build them up & put them back to spec's. with his own special process.
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

fourthgear wrote:"Head hog" can repair the heads (he's in Ohio ). My 65's had cracks from the spark plugs to the valve seat also & they came back like brand new.
He also (if you have org. seats ) will build them up & put them back to spec's. with his own special process.
Sounds like a good idea! I am out , now, but when I get home I will post some pics for you guys to look at.

Return to “Cylinderheads”