Rocker Blocks Wearing out fast!

PhilB

Rocker Blocks Wearing out fast!

Post by PhilB »

My rockers do not seem to be oiling! I had Accurate Engineering Blocks and rockers and they wiped out. I had after-market blocks first that lasted about 1500 miles and they wiped out- The accurate lasted about 10,000 miles- I sent blocks and rockers back to Accurate to recon and they have not answered their phone for a full month! The rockers seem to score and grind up the valve side of the top block- What is a fix and how do I get a little more life out of the rockers and blocks! Is this a chronic Pan problem? BTW, I have STD heads, an andrews #6 cam and hydro-solid lifters. I really hate all those little tiny chips running through my motor!

Any help is welcome!
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Rocker Blocks Wearing out fast!

Post by old1955 »

G'day PhilB

Woow! that really sucks. You need to do a little investigating. You have to make sure
you have full oil delivery to the top end, I guess you have some. I would do this:

Take the heads off, kick your bike over till you see oil coming out of the top
oil gallery on the barrel if you have the earlier heads, if you have the late outside head oiler, heads
undo the pipe and kick till you see oil coming out. So, you may then know you have oil to there. If
not, you may need to back track from that point. Your oil pump may be letting you down.

Then check the galleries in the head and make sure there is very little oil escaping at the bottom of the rocker
blocks, they need a very flat surface to sit on , otherwise this will impeed oil deliver any further up through the block
to oil the rocker shafts and beyond.

You could assemble the rockers on the heads and get a good oil can with a thumb pump and pump oil in the gallery
at the head gasket surface inlet, use a rubber gromet or something to seal the can tip in the gallery, then watch for oil at the rockers.
See where is appearing from, where is it going?

Also make sure your head gaskets and barrel base gaskets (if earlier pan) are not slightly blocking the oil gallery hole.

No this is not a normal condition, some rockers and blocks can do and have done more than 100,000 mile and there still good.

That will keep you out of mischief for a few nights!
hope you nail it!

Pete
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

I ruined a set of blocks & lifters once because I didn't clean out the bead blasting media good enough. :(
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

So your talking about STD heads, are they supposed to be fed with external oil lines?
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Thats right- we got plenty of oil-

Return to “Cylinderheads”