Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Rockers

Post by PanPal »

Does anyone make roller rockers for panheads?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Rockers

Post by caschnd1 »

mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,

this place also makes roller rockers,
Baisley's Performance in Oregon
talked to him on the phone about a year ago and I think the price was 450.00 or so.
read this also its kinda cool......http://www.bikernet.com/garage/pancarbtech1.asp

mbskeam
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks Craig and Mbskeam,

Interesting reading in that link. I read that roller rockers correct the miss alignment problem with the push rods. But, Again I hear why do this on a Pan? Looking at the block Accurate offers, I'm leaning towards keeping the original set up now. Do you think there is any great benefit to running rollers? What I read was less wear on the valve guides and less heat because of the roller.
I was looking into upgrading the valve train in a project pan I'm working on. I'm running a Sifton 108 cam with solids. I bought an S&S oil pump and plan to drill the hole for improved oiling with the hydraulics. I plan on installing the S&S hydraulic set up and thought there was hollow push rods that feed oil to the top end through the push rods then add the roller rockers and a new cam if needed for the hydraulics. I haven't found this push rod set up and now wonder if anyone makes this set up at all.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Panpal,

I haven't seen a setup like you described that feeds oil to the topend through hollow push rods. Doesn't mean there isn't one out there, but I just haven't run across it. It'd be careful about getting too much oil to the top end. This can cause a lot of oil to pool at the downhill side of the head and promotes leaks at the low end of the pan covers.
Regarding your question about the benefits of roller rockers. Well, in my case I'm running a Crane 296A cam and didn't think the lift was enough to need roller rockers. I believe that you benefit more if you have a higher lift cam. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is actually using roller lifers.

-Craig
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

Well.....
S&S and Jim's both makes a setup for the shovel, that oils like a evo, up thru the push rods to the rockers. But this is all special parts and new rocker arm shafts....etc,
these are spendy also.
have read that rollers are for high lift cams etc....
I didn't think the $$$$$ would be worth the cost on mostly stock pan engine.
but if you where going to race it.........
well, thats a diff story.
all it takes is money
How fast do you want to GO............

mbskeam
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

if you wanted you could talk or email departurebikeworks.com in richmond,va. i was in there a few months ago and the owner lee clemens had a pan with outside oiler heads that were blocked off and was running the oil up thru the pushrods. you could ask him for advice. he is a very nice guy.
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

I have baisley roller tipped rockers in my pan with accurates blocks,I also run overhead oilers-via- STD heads......I am using fitings with 1/8" i.d. openings for the top end oiling. I probably went over kill on this set-up because I built a 92" stroker....4-3/4" and Ironically it doesnt run much better than a really strong 74".....I,m in the process of dissasembling the motor and going back to stock...but with STD heads and an "a" grind cam I have an almost brand new stroker crank set up with S&S supreme rods for sale now!!!!
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

hey mbskeam!!!I did that very conversion my self on a bridgeport mill with a boring bar,Man what a job!!! I gave up too soon and got disgusted but it was an invaluble lesson....and I,ll never do it again!! too much carbeuration but you CAN make it run if you have the patience to dial it in!!!!I know guys that have done it as well and they could never get the motor to carburate cleanly through out the RPM range. I used 38mm flat side mikunis....they are brand new sittin in a box for sale!!!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

bibs-
"I probably went over kill on this set-up because I built a 92" stroker....4-3/4" and Ironically it doesnt run much better than a really strong 74"
Something's not right there, when I did my ol 63 pan, I stroked it to 4 5/8" w/+.070" bore & a "B" grind
It Hauled Freakin' ASS !!!!!
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

BILLY... I cant for the life of me understand why the motor I built is not a performer....I also used a "b"grind but I,m going back to stock for reliability issues and kick starting.....the hell with it! Once I get er back to stock(but with std heads) I,ll have the pan I used to love 1-2 kicks tops!!! I couldnt kick that stroker over too easily with my neck and back plus the fact I,m 55. I,ll have some goodies for sale if you are interested.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

bibs-

Whatever the stroke, starting in 1-2 kicks should NOT be a problem, assuming all is in good working order..
ex. No intake leaks, etc...
I'm near 51, (I understand) But, they make a 'stroker kick-arm'
which is 1" longer= 50 lbs approx. more weight. Helps a whole lot!!!
Plus another consideration is: "Compression releases"
I understand what you're saying. Good luck with your change-back..
Agreed, any more than 4 5/8"stroke does compromise longevity...
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

Bibs....
so you say you did the dual carb thing?
flat side 38mm(old style?) or round slide mik's? just asking.
boy if they made a copy of there 42mm flat slide in 38mm I'd be all over it.
was thinking of what the carb size would/should be for that setup ...and if a 38mm works for a 1200CC =2x600CC cyl. then I would think you could put a small carb on each head, like a 32mm or such , but not to small, as to lower the max CFM's that the head could flow at the intake port.
all the loose ideas that cost more $$$$$$$ than I have right now.

mbskeam

Return to “Cylinderheads”