Rocker shaft end play

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Rocker shaft end play

Post by steve_wood »

Finally got all the pieces of the 56 FLH puzzle and I'm starting to put things back together. The rocker shaft end play for all units is around .016 to .018 thousands.

This is out of spec (max .012). Is it crucial? I realize this will probably produce some valve train noise, but will it damage any of the parts? Will the system deteriorate or is it stable?

Thoughts?
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: Rocker shaft end play

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Steve, Nothing on these old machines remain stable. With that said I personally wouldn't be to concerned with that small amount out of tolerance on the loose side. Now if it where out of tolerance on the tight side, I'd have to fix that. -Steve
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Rocker shaft end play

Post by Cotten »

Steve!

The MOCO put out early '80's Chubbles with anywhere for 18 to 25+ thou endplay brand new.
Although they may not have intended to do so, they still functioned.

The grief of silver-soldering up blocks and lathe-cutting endplays upon a mandrel is hardly worth the bragging rights to say you did so.

(Been there, done that.)

Just a spot of silver top and bottom, and then filed flat would probably give another 100,000 miles!

If it gets to where you hear a little clatter when you lean into corners, then you may consider doing something.

When re-assembling, inspect to see how the rocker pad centers upon the valvestem cap. If you are not on the edge, it is fine.

One of the few real differences between Pans and other models are the rocker assemblies. Everything that came later just shortened the fuse.
They had to make them wear out somehow, so Chubbles were invented!

...Cotten

Return to “Cylinderheads”