Exhaust stubs

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Exhaust stubs

Post by StueyC »

I have machined up two new exhaust stubs ready to be welded to the heads on my Panhead. I have made them 2.050" which gives 0.005" clearance on the new exhausts I have bought. I was trhinking that the 0.005" would make them a nice tight fit with a good seal when clamped. I'm now thinking it might give the pipes little or no movement when fitting them up. Can anyone tell me the original diameter of the exhaust stubs? I'm thinking they were maybe 2.000" and does anyone have any suggestions if I should give them more clearance or leave them as have made them?

Thanks.
Stuey.
jlaley
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL

Re: Exhaust stubs

Post by jlaley »

Leave them the way you have them. That should be good. I had Don "Headhog" do mine and I believe 2.05" is what they were. Very snug fit, which is good.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Make sure the surface between the head and cylinder is flat after welding on new spiggots.
With all that heat it can distort the head.
Use some high heat (silver) silicone on the inside of the exhaust flange before you put them on and clamp them up. You'll be glad you did. It will eliminate that black soot that sneeks past the clamp especially if you use stock clamps.
I use it at all exhaust joints. No soot leaks.

jim
Bikes: 57 flh 2008 ultra

Post by 1450 »

StueyC wrote:I have machined up two new exhaust stubs ready to be welded to the heads on my Panhead. I have made them 2.050" which gives 0.005" clearance on the new exhausts I have bought. I was trhinking that the 0.005" would make them a nice tight fit with a good seal when clamped. I'm now thinking it might give the pipes little or no movement when fitting them up. Can anyone tell me the original diameter of the exhaust stubs? I'm thinking they were maybe 2.000" and does anyone have any suggestions if I should give them more clearance or leave them as have made them?

Thanks.
Stuey.

Return to “Cylinderheads”