V-Twin heads

Pegtooth

V-Twin heads

Post by Pegtooth »

Anyone know these Panheads, for good or ill? Having '50 heads rebuilt, can't really afford $2k for STD, and machinest wished he could see cheaper V-Twin heads before I shelled out for a pig in the poke. Any help on these would be appreciated. Thanks.
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: V-Twin heads

Post by wheels »

pegtooth, STD makes the repo heads for v-twin. you can buy directly from std or have your local shop buy directly from them. i purchased the heads with shovel valve kit and used my rocker arms. i have about $1000 in the whole set up. i must say i am very pleased. the increase in performance is awsome. my local shop set up an account with them and i got them cheaper than buying them myself. they have to pay v-twin a royaly or something. hope this helps.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
wheels....
are they the heads that have oem style intake,exh. ports?
or are they set up as shovel intake and the 3 bolt flange exh. port

mbskeam
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

you can get them any way you want. i went with shovel intake because i was putting on an s&s carb and they had them in stock for immediate delivery. i stayed with the pan exhaust. i could have got the stock intake also but they wouldn,t have any for about 5 or 6 weeks at that time. i must say i was reluctant to start deviating from my stock machine but my bikeruns like a striped ass ape for a forty year old machine. i am very pleased with the setup.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
the reason I was asking was, that is a real GOOD price.
was that price with the valves done and springs set up?
(ready to bolt on)with your rockers.
mbskeam
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

i went through my local shop. it seems like he sold me the heads a couple hundred less than me buying directly. i bought the heads for $800 and the valves, springsand keepers for around $200 and had my shop assemble them. i used my rocker arms and studs from my old heads. he had never bought from them directly but it was pretty easy for him to set up an account. i think he said his first five orders are prepay or cod. i know the people i talked to at std told me when you buy assembled heads from v-twin you get cheaper components installed . i got the black diamond valves and usa springs and keepers not tiawan.
Pegtooth

Post by Pegtooth »

Thanks Wheels. Thanks Mike. Heads on the way with stock Manley valves. Appreciate all the help.
ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

I just received my set of STD replica pan heads. I got them from STD in one week. I paid $1400.00 Canadian with valves and guides. This is much better than the $2500.00 Canadian my parts dealer quoted for the Vee Twin ones. They were the last ones they had in stock.
My original heads were inside oiling. The new ones are outside oiling. I have 2 questions about the conversion:

1- Are there special, orificed, fitting required?

2- Where can I get the oil lines required. I have checked the usual catalogs, CC and Mid-USA and they don't show anything for pans.

I have a friend that wants to buy my old 1956 heads. They require valve seat replacement and the exhaust spigots are worn out. The "O" ring manifold spigots are in good shape. There are no broken fins. Does anyone know what a fair price would be?

Thanks
kell

Post by kell »

The STD heads I got have both the inside and outside oiling passages. Maybe yours do too. If so, you can just put them on and get around to the outside oiling later.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Put plugs in the top oiler holes and you're ready to go. Use Loctite PST 592 (pipe sealant w/ teflon) on the plugs threads. Leave the first thread of the plug uncoated with sealant.
ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

Thanks for the replies. My STD replica heads are set up for outside oiling only. Does anyone here know if I require special oil line fittings with orifices to control the flow and is there a source for oil lines?
mcjim
Inactive member

Post by mcjim »

I put some outside oilers on a '55 I had.Bent up and brazed a line out of brake tubing,used Shovel oil line fittings,tapped cam cover on the top back(like a knucklehead).no problemo.Might be easier with braided SS line.
Pegtooth

Post by Pegtooth »

Thanks again Wheels. Heads came through with impressive level of quality and I appreciate your helpful input.
plefe

Post by plefe »

2005 V-Twin catalog shows that they have the outside oiler lines available.

Return to “Cylinderheads”