Pan cover felt glue / Gorilla snot

VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Pan cover felt glue / Gorilla snot

Post by VintageTwin »

Richard, a mechanic from San Diego H-D told me about "Gorilla Snot". It's 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Part # 051135-08001, available at NAPA auto parts. 5 oz. tube. Wipe the tube threads and cap out when replaced for longer shelf life. Yellow, fast drying. Put a thin coat on both surfaces (pencil-trace a felt-gasket pattern on the inside of the Pan cover, so you'll see where to paint glue); let dry; put another thin coat on both surfaces and bond immediately. Acetone cuts overspills.

It's the details that count!
Zup
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Pan cover felt glue / Gorilla snot

Post by Zup »

Yellow Death (aka gorilla snot aka 3M weather strip adhesive) is about the handiest thing to keep around the shop. It holds(and seals) gaskets in place, it does a great job of sealing all potentially leaky mating surfaces. Some people complain that it's a bitch to get things back apart that are glued together with it. But I normally don't intend to be pulling it apart any time soon anyway... so would rather have the superior seal while it's together, in trade for the ease of disassemby (which I hope won't be for quite a few miles)
Granted, it's not something you'd want to use everywhere, but it works in a lot more places than one might think.

Return to “Cylinderheads”