Carl's Cycle to Make Knuckle and Pan Rear Headers

VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Carl's Cycle to Make Knuckle and Pan Rear Headers

Post by VintageTwin »

We are in the process of making correct rear header pipes for Pan and Knuckles. http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/
This is great news. I wonder what brand their rear header will fit which "Y" and flatpipe and front header? The Dennic Corso® group of pipes or the Dixie set of pipes :?: Exhaust systems for rigid Pans are one of the hard to fit parts. Dennis Corso told me more than once, that, "We made the rigid Pan 10" "Y" pipe in 1972 patterned off an OEM "Y" pipe. (When I questioned him about the seemingly great amount of "kick" in the tail piece and how that kick set the direction for the muffler and on my machine, sent the muffler upswept from a true horizontall OE position.
Great news that someone else is going to take a crack at making pipes that fit.
Hope Carl's Cycle puts (4) compression slots in the bell of the header and not just (2). Two slots are not enough, but you can't tell Dennis that. His tooling is existing and he plans no changes to his operation of pinching off two-slot headers.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Carl's Cycle to Make Knuckle and Pan Rear Headers

Post by steve_wood »

Sounds good.

It is actually pretty easy to put the two additional compression slots in the tube; hacksaw and some detail work with a dremel to open them up a bit.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Carl's Cycle to Make Knuckle and Pan Rear Headers

Post by VintageTwin »

The hacksaw method. Hard on the chrome plating integrity, but probably the accepted standard nowadays. Here's some step-by-step misery of Panhead exhaust fitment issues for review. Illustrates that Dixie® and Corso® are not interchangeable. My exhaust finally went together, and the problems I had might have been due to the 1997 V-Twin frame and the fact the the '59 heads might be a little taller than the '57 heads. Your exhaust might fit up better than mine did.
http://flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic ... 45&start=0

Return to “Cylinderheads”