Snapped Head Bolt Remover Tool

VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Snapped Head Bolt Remover Tool

Post by VintageTwin »

I snapped a head bolt last month. The last one to install. I felt it stretch earlier, I think, during criss-cross tightening.
Not having a long enough easy-out, I could only have turned the lost feed-end of the screw from the head by using a left-hand bit, maybe. I'd need a sleeve to go inside the head's bolt hole or I'd risk damaging the threads trying to get a left hand bit centered? Needs to be a way to sleeve-protect a pilot bit, to hit near dead-center on the raw, jagged, hardened broken section of the bolt, like the hex section shown below. Same jagged surface on the feed-end that would need to be removed... Or else you have to remove all the bolts you already have torqued to 65 ft. lbs. and then what? You have to buy a whole new set of bolts and gaskets because you stretched them on the first torque-down and compressed the gasket(s).
When I removed the head last month to replace the bolt, the feed-end backed out easily.
This might make it possible to use a hardwood 1/4" dowel in a 90 degree attachment, depending on which bolt broke, with the drill motor switched to "reverse". The wooden dowel wouldn't tear up the threads. Any debris could be vacuumed out of the head hole later.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Snapped Head Bolt Remover Tool

Post by awander »

What about using a steel rod just small enough to pass through the jug, with a smaller diameter stubby LH drill bit brazed in a hole in the end?

The rod would keep it centered, and teh stubby drill buit could cut a hole in the remainder of teh stud, and probably turn it loose.

If that didn't result in the stud backing out, there could be a second identical tool with an easy-out of appropriate size, instead of the drill.

Of course, if I ever need one, I won't want to spend the time making it, and will rpobably either take the head off, or butcher things in my haste.

Return to “Cylinderheads”