Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Head restoration

Post by Skip »

Just pulled my heads off yesterday because I was bored...what an expensive afternoon that was...any way...I need opinions on Headhog or any other head restoration outfit worth using...$800.00 for a head restoration seems a bit high maybe? they don't seem that bad, held compression and dirty but I have never done anything to them...let me know what you think...Thanks

Skip
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Head restoration

Post by panhead »

This is what you'll get from Headhog: https://www.hydra-glide.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=56
It's cheaper than new STD's
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Problem is you will get that anywhere...there is a shop very close to me that does panhead heads...$300.00 for the same thing headhog states for $800.00...just wondering what the difference is...you know a head job is a head job right?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Skip, typicly if you take your heads to the guy accross town you'll wind up getting back heads with miss-matched valves over groung seats, guides pushed out without cleaning the carbon off first,screwing up the hole permenantly, they dont even check the intake nipples, and who knows what else. If you send them to Don it may take a while, but you can be confident in his abilities. You get what you pay for.....If your lucky...Mike
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Skip -

$300 does not get you what Don Sullivan at Head Hog gives you. He repours the seats. All other shops machine out the original poured seats and press in steel seats. They will come out. Maybe not sooner. But, if the machine spends any time at all on any kind of distance trips, they will eventually drop. The OEM poured seats are far superior to any modern seat. They are great for no-lead gas, as they cushion the valves, where lead used to provide the cushion. The main reason that old poured seats are in such bad shape is from poor shop practices, along with improper seat tools. Once the new seat is cut to shape, only a slight shaving cut is needed to make it new again. That could be years and many miles later. It is money well spent to make them better than new.

Jack
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

OK...done...now what about pistons...any favorites...thanks...Skip
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I prefer S&S cast pistons, for replacement of OEM cast components. However, they are heavier than OEM, so a rebalance to stock specs is a must. That being said, I've grown particularly fond of Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, as they can run a much closer fit than cast. But. They are much lighter than OEM cast. So, a rebalance is a must, also. Eastern sells a piston that is close enough to OEM specs to use as a direct replacement, without rebalancing. I prefer the others.

Jack
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

What about Wiseco? Thanks for the help Skip
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I've had great luck with Wiseco pistons. My current build uses Wiseco (8.5:1) and has 30K miles on it. Haven't touched the motor since it was buttoned up. Uses no oil between changes.
I did have it rebalanced with the last rebuild.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I will put KB pistons in before others , A lot of shops are intimidated by the close tolerances ( they are afraid of some one putting them to the limit before proper warm up is achieved , with good reason ) They are much lighter than stock and guaranteed to be with in a very small weight diff. between pistons in a set , so balancers should like them. The ones in my motor are working great, mine are 9.5-1, I don't think I took a photo of the stock and KB's side by side , but there is a big diff..
As far as your heads , you can't go wrong with Head Hog , he is an artiest, but I have steel seats in my Pan motor and had them in a lot of HDs ,most have been Shovel heads which have more for the seat to grab on to , but have had no problems with any motor that has been changed over to them and I am sure that if you do enough of them , you will see some that are not done right like any other procedure and of course who does the work. Its your call.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Thanks fourthgear...hate to sound like a cheap bastard, but just put my daughter in college and that is taking most of my play money...heads are really not that bad...held compression and such, but thought as long as I had them off..I have never had them off before...going to go with a 9:1 piston I believe...my motor is stock now, so only going over.10...Skip
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I went thru three sets of wisco pistons in my 49, I think they expand faster than the cylinders during warm-up so you must be very carefull not to be in a hurry. (difficult when riding with evo's) I also think a little extra tolerance is a good idea when using forged pistons in cast cylinders. I hope my new S&S stroker pistons hold up well, We shall see...Mike
62trvler

Post by 62trvler »

Skip,

those are my heads in the picture and they are beautiful. I have had many comments on the work by Headhog. If you would like to see the before-after pics let me know. I haven't had them running yet but will get the motor back in the spring and it should be a runner. I believe once you have the hardened seats put in you can never go back from what I have heard???
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Skip, had my heads done by HeadHog as well. If you want some additional pics I can have the wife help me upload a couple of pics. Don is the absolute best.
I feel your pain on kids and school...I had to wait until my daughter got through college and grad school before I could start on my 49.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

My daughter is right up there next to God in my eyes...so anyhting short of selling Grandpa she wants she gets...what about head restoration before headhog...was there none...not trying to put Mr. Sullivan down by any means and I sure he is the best...but...who was there before him...did they use steel seats...did no one care...did panheads cease to function before he came to town...?...and do you have to sell your first born to get quality workmanship...Just curious.....Skip

Hey guys...please explain this balancing to an idiot...I have never done this...can someone tell me how and why...should you do this to all motors after you replace the pistons?...thanks immeasurably for the Knowledge...Skip

Return to “Cylinderheads”