Heads back from Head Hog

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Heads back from Head Hog

Post by fourthgear »

Here's some photo's of my heads , I think they are beautiful , like new . He fixed all fins , cracks in the guide casting and one between the spark plug hole and valve seat , all rebuilt seats (like original ) new guides and valves.Repaired all valve cover holes and re-decked all surfaces.New exhaust spigots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

They ARE beautiful !
Would it be rude for me to ask how much the job cost ? ..Rick
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Including Ins.( they were ins. for 2 K , that's pricey in its self )I paid $ 1505.20 US. I guess you could compare that to a set of STD heads , but they would not be original and the before and after is just astonishing to me.

I originally though they would be around 1K , but he kept calling me when he would find some thing that would need attention and of course I said go for it every time . If you want them right , you got to go for it . I doubt if I will ever need them to have that much attention again .

This 65 is for my wife for her 50th birthday this summer .
VT

Post by VT »

If you want them right , you got to go for it . I doubt if I will ever need them to have that much attention again
Exactly.
1. Are you going to put anti-sieze on the head bolts, or lube the head bolts, or graphite powder the head bolts, or what?

2. Are you going to use a (blue) teflon head gasket?

3. Are you going to torque them to 65 psi in a criss-cross direction?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I don't see any shots of the intake, are these the heads with the welded on "o" ring nipples? They sure look good!
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

panacea
They are from a stock 65 motor , one head (front ) has 63 stamping and the rear has 64 stampings and of course both are over head oiler type heads .

VT
I dip the head bolts in oil (syn.) and let them drain off all the excess before assembly .( to make sure no oil will contaminate the head gasket area ,but the pores of the head bolt threads are oiled )This is the first head that I have not had the inserts relieved , we will see how that goes .

I will use James blue Teflon head gaskets . I have been using them since they came out with them . I have a set of James , fire rings I got for free , but after hearing from some that they can leave a nearly unobservable indentation in the head , that would have to be surgically removed before you could use any other gasket ( since I just had all surfaces redone ), I will not use them .

I have always cross tightened any thing with bolt patterns , be it a lug nut of valve cover etc. When I have a motor on the bench like this is ,I will use a torque wrench , cause its easy to get at them , now after the first warm up , I will use a different method.

I've been rebuilding HD motors for over thirty years , my methods work for me and like the blue Teflon gaskets , I'm not going to change a thing , method wise .
VT

Post by VT »

Sounds good. Just running over the checklist. I use the same blue gasket w/o fire ring. Yep, fire ring gaskets are for 74" Knuckle cylinders, since the cylinder has no fire ring.
I torque to 65 ft. lbs. criss-cross too. I use a Snap-On 9/16" foot extension on my torque wrench. The foot doesn't change the torque calc's and it reaches the in-accessible areas when the motor is installed in the frame.

Return to “Cylinderheads”