Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Loud valve

Post by PanPal »

Description: I started it this morning before heading into work an there is no tap

Post by PanPal on Jun 9, 2004, 5:03pm

I was out riding my 59 last night. About 20 miles open road to my buddies house. Then let it rest about an hour. Coming home it was the same open road, I think I had to stop for two stop lights each way. About a 1/4 mile from my house a valve got real loud. I putted into the driveway and shut it down. The oil tank was hot but not too bad. I'm running stock original everything, besides the 25 tooth tranny sprocket. I wasn't hammering on it, just tooling along about 50 or 60 I think, (bad ground connection on the dash light) I started it this morning before heading into work an there's no tap. I just got the bike running at the end of February. Then had to go back in and resurface the heads and fix a seeping gas tank. I've retorqued heads and adjusted pushrods. I put about 120 miles on it before reworking the heads and about 60 miles since it's back together. I did put 1.5 oz of MMO in with 3 gallons of gas before heading out last night. I had been putting in 3 oz per fill up about 3.5 gallons. I've been running straight 60W.

Post by billy on Jun 9, 2004, 6:25pm

Sounds like you are getting a weak lifter.
Once this shovel would do the same thing & only at odd times.
Cold it was quiet. Oil is thicker then too. Then here & there the lifter would collapse & make some noise!!! & then pump back up & be quiet. Since the girl didn't have money for New hydraulic Lifters I just threw in a set of
Soild converters. No more problem.. ;D

Post by PanPal on Jun 9, 2004, 7:56pm

With warmer weather comming, I'm considering going to 70W oil. I guess trying new lifters is the first step. Any idea what a set from V-twin runs?

Return to “Cylinderheads”